The retrofitted, historic URMs below help emphasize the importance of structurally retrofitting and strengthening older buildings according to the applicable seismic regulations of the City of San Diego. By doing this we protect the safety of our citizens and assure enjoyment and preservation of our historic buildings for years to come.
This historic building is located at 432 F St., in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, at the corner of 5th Ave. and F St. This building is listed as a historic building #31 on the Gaslamp Quarter Historic Buildings registry. In 2006, this unreinforced masonry (URM) building underwent structural renovation and was retrofitted to comply with the mandatory provisions of the regulations of the City of San Diego URM Ordinance.
George J. Keating and his wife Fannie Keating lived in Kansas, where they owned Smith And Keating, one of the world's largest farm equipment companies at the time.
In 1886, Mr. and Mrs. Keating moved to San Diego, and two years later Mr. Keating died. In 1890, Mrs. Keating began construction of the Keating Building as a tribute to her late husband, at a cost of $135,000. She hired the Reid Brothers as the building's architects, who also designed the Hotel Del Coronado.
The construction of this five story, Romanesque Revival style, office building was completed in 1891. At that time, this building was among the most prestigious office buildings in the City. This building had all the modern conveniences, including: steam heat, a wire-cage elevator (which was later removed) and spacious office spaces.
Some of the buildings best known tenants include the law firm Babcock, Paterbaugh and Luce; Henry Lord Gay, founder of the American Institute of Architects; T.J. Sloan, a well known photographer; and it even served as the home of the City Library. The San Diego Savings Bank (later became San Diego Trust and Savings Bank) also occupied this building around the turn of the century, from 1893 - 1912. In fact, the old steel bank vault is still in the basement of the building.
Today, The Keating Building is used as a mixed-occupancy; restaurant/bar on the first floor and in the lower basement and as a hotel on second through the fifth floors.
Western Metal Supply Company
This four-story brick building, located at 215 Seventh Ave., was built in 1909-1910 on the corner of Seventh Avenue and K Street. Constructed at the considerable cost of $60,000, it was designed by renowned architect Henry Lord Gay. This building is registered as a historical building #131 on the San Diego Historical Resources Board registry.
The business that became Western Metal Supply Co. in 1902 was established in 1888 by brothers Bernard and George McKenzie. It originally specialized in steel distribution, wagon maker materials and blacksmith supplies. It later evolved into a large hardware wholesale operation, adding plumbing, auto supplies, pipe fittings, equipment for automobiles and gasoline engines, roofing supplies and sporting goods to its inventory. The company played a key role in developing the region from Southern California to Arizona by supplying products for the construction and transportation industries, from covered wagons to the railroad and automobiles.
By 1972, the once thriving old industrial neighborhood and warehouse district declined into disrepair. The McKenzie family sold the business the same year. The Western Metal Supply Co. filed for bankruptcy in 1975. In 1977, the vacant building was purchased by the Hom family, and eventually designated as a historic site by the City of San Diego. Years later, the Western Metal Supply Co. building was scheduled for demolition to make way for construction of a new ball park in downtown San Diego: Petco Park.
Today, skyscraper hotels and condominiums, office buildings, parking structures, shops and restaurants have replaced the old industrial warehouse district. This new redeveloped and revitalized district, known as East Village, is the location of Petco Park, home to the San Diego Padres.
With the Padres commitment to preservation of historic resources, this one hundred-year old historical brick building was preserved and adaptively re-used. The Western Metal Supply Co. building is an integral part of the Petco Park. The building is incorporated into the ballpark, with the left-field foul pole attached to its southeastern corner.
As part of the construction of the ball park, this historical building underwent major structural renovation and was completely seismically strengthened as required by the seismic regulations of the applicable building code and the City of San Diego URM Ordinance.
Old City Hall
Old City Hall is a historic building located at 664 Fifth Ave. in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, at the corner of G Street and Fifth Avenue in Downtown San Diego. This building is listed as a historic building #46 on the Gaslamp Quarter Historic Buildings registry.
This Florentine-Italianate architectural style building was originally a two-story brick building constructed in 1874. In 1887, two more stories were added. Upon the completion of the upper levels, the Public Library moved-in and occupied the third floor. In 1891, the City of San Diego purchased the building from Ralph Granger and the City of San Diego government offices were moved into the building, housing the City of San Diego government offices for 35 years.
Today, Old City Hall is privately owned and is used as a mixed-occupancy; restaurant/bar on the first floor, retail on second floor, and live/work loft units on the third and fourth floors. In 1995, this URM building underwent major structural renovation and was completely retrofitted according to the seismic regulations of the then applicable building code and the City of San Diego URM Ordinance.