San Diego

Accessibility Tools

  • Check if your spelling is correct, or try removing filters.
  • Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue drop" will match less than blue drop.
  • You can require or exclude terms using + and -: big +blue drop will require a match on blue while big blue -drop will exclude results that contain drop.

Code Enforcement

Building inspector taking pictures of an old abandoned house

Code Enforcement works in partnership with citizens to ensure, improve and maintain safe and desirable San Diego neighborhoods. If you believe that there is a violation near your home or business, you can:

1. Contact the Responsible Person

Most people want to be good neighbors and are cooperative once an issue is brought to their attention. The National Conflict Resolution Center at 619-238-2400 can help you establish effective dialog with the person responsible for the problem.

2. Request an Investigation

Call 619-236-5500

You will be asked if you have contacted the responsible party.

Frequently Asked Questions

What actions should I expect from Code Enforcement once an alleged violation is reported?

A case will be opened, prioritized and assigned to staff within one business day. Research is conducted to determine existing approvals and conditions. Most cases warrant inspections, which are then scheduled with the responsible party.

If an inspection reveals code violations, staff will determine the appropriate remedy. This may include the issuance of a citation or notice. In most cases, the person responsible for a violation is given an opportunity to voluntarily comply and correct the situation.

Once the deadline in the notice has expired, the owner or responsible person may be subject to one or more of the actions below.

  • Abatement - The City may direct a third party to demolish, secure or remove junk and debris. The City will recover costs.
  • Civil Penalties - May be assessed up to a daily maximum amount of $10,000 and up to a total maximum amount of $400,000.
  • Judicial Remedies - The City Attorney can file criminal or civil cases against the responsible party or parties.

What if I wish to make an anonymous complaint?

Code Enforcement will not accept anonymous requests for investigation. Please note that complainant information is kept confidential; however, in rare instances, the City may be required to reveal this information in a judicial proceeding.

What does Code Enforcement check during property inspections?

In general, assigned staff inspects the development, use and condition of a property for compliance with applicable codes and regulations.