Once a Fire Recruit successfully completes the Fire Academy, he or she is promoted to Firefighter I.
Firefighter I undergoes on-the-job training under constant supervision and increasingly performs fire fighting duties and related work.
A Firefighter I is assigned to the training division in Fire Operations while learning the full range of fire fighting operations.
Examples of Duties
- Responds to fire and emergency calls as a member of a fire company.
- Lays hose, carries and sets up ladders, and uses fire equipment to extinguish fires and make rescues.
- Administers first aid.
- Participates in pre-fire and fire prevention inspections.
- Participates in drills and training activities.
- Cleans and maintains fire vehicles, apparatus, equipment.
- Maintains fire station and grounds.
- Operates department non-emergency vehicles, and when required, drives and operates fire vehicles, apparatus, equipment and ambulances.
- Successful completion of the City of San Diego Fire-Rescue Department's Basic Fire Academy.
- Possession of a valid California Class C Driver's License
- Current state of California Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
If you have an emergency, dial 9-1-1. More information on calling 9-1-1.
For other questions or concerns, see the Frequently Asked Questions, call 619-533-4300 or email [email protected].