The Fleet Operations Division manages the maintenance, service, repairs, washing, fueling, replacement and disposal of the more than 4,500 City fleet vehicles and motorized equipment used by all City departments. These include vehicles and equipment such as sedans, light and heavy-duty trucks, trailers, tractors, electric vehicles and miscellaneous motorized equipment.
Comprised of an approximate 200-member team, the Fleet Operations Department Division:
- Works with individual City departments to acquire or purchase the most cost-effective and productive vehicles and equipment needed to help meet each client department’s department's mission.
- Conducts the disposition of retired vehicles and replacement of all department vehicles or motorized equipment that can’t be cost-effectively repaired or meet City goals. This includes converting the existing fleet into an environmentally friendly one following the City’s Climate Action Plan and industry best practices and standards.
- Provides quality in-house preventive maintenance, mechanical repair, state inspections, vehicle emissions testing and lubrication of all City vehicles and mobile equipment. It also purchases or salvages the needed parts and accessories, conducts metal repair and fabricates parts for required repairs.
- Operates maintenance, repair, car-washing and vehicular storage facilities that operate 24/7, ensuring the City’s fleet of vehicles continues to provide essential citywide public services.
- Manages the citywide operation of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), renewable diesel, propane and gasoline fueling stations, and electric vehicle charging stations.
- Oversees the fuel management and fuel-related consumables tracking and reporting of each City vehicle.
- Administers a sustainable motor pool of shared vehicles that can be reserved and checked out by City employees on an as-needed basis to conduct City business.
- Delivers classroom and hands-on training for automobile and equipment operators.