SDG&E Electric and Gas Franchise
In June 2021, the San Diego City Council approved the electric and gas franchise agreements with San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E). The Franchise is a 10-year agreement with the option to extend for an additional 10 years and allows SDG&E to use the public right of way to install and maintain the infrastructure - such as pipes, poles and wires - necessary to provide energy to San Diego's residents and businesses.
The Franchise Agreements also include an Energy Cooperation Agreement (ECA). The ECA works to ensure alignment with the City’s Climate Action Plan (CAP) goals and advocates for equity programs for rooftop solar, affordable housing and energy efficiency. Additionally, the ECA ensures transparency by requiring regular meetings and presentations to City Council regarding energy rates, major projects, customer equity and climate equity.
Franchise Compliance Review Committee
The Franchise Compliance Review Committee (committee roster) was created in accordance with Section 6 of the Franchise Agreement. This Committee is established every two years to ensure compliance with the terms of the franchise and to provide City Council with recommendations on the renewal for the secondary term of the Franchise.
Have questions or feedback?
Reach out to us at:
Committee Creation and Appointments
r-314189 Creation of committee
Mayor Gloria's appointments - July 22, 2022
r-314220 Tomasulo appointment
r-314356 Quient appointment
Mayor Gloria's appointments - April 26, 2023
2023 Meeting Agendas, Minutes, Presentations and Video Recordings
- Energy Cooperation Agreement overview slides
- Energy Cooperation Agreement implementation plan
- May 31, 2023 Public Comments
- May 31, 2023 Public Comments Attachments
- May 31, 2023 Meeting Minutes
- May 31, 2023 Meeting Video
- FCRC Undergrounding Overview Handout Slides
- April 19, 2023 Meeting Minutes v2
- April 19, 2023 Public Comments
- April 19, 2023 Meeting Video
- SDG&E Admin MOU Presentation
- Franchise Financial Obligations Presentation
- Feb. 13, 2023 Meeting Minutes
- Feb. 13, 2023 Public Comments
- Feb. 13, 2023 Meeting Video
The City of San Diego entered into a 50-year franchise for electric and gas services in 1970 with San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E). This franchise expired in January 2021. The City then developed the terms of a new franchise for both gas and electric services.
- Request for Expressions of Interest for Gas & Electric Services Memorandum
- RFEI Franchise for Electric and Gas Services
Previous San Diego Gas and Electric Franchise Agreements:
Cancellation of Invitation to Bid (2020)
Cancellation of the Invitation to Bid for Franchise of Gas and Electric Services
Invitations to Bid
The City of San Diego previously offered the following Invitations to Bid. The links below include instructions on the bidding process and the provisions for the respective franchises.
Questions and Responses to the Electric and Gas Invitations to Bid
The City received a significant amount of questions. These documents include questions and responses: