A temporary use permit (TUP) is for certain uses for limited time periods in locations where the uses would not otherwise be allowed in the applicable zone.
A TUP is required for the following uses:
- Retail sales related to seasonal activities, such as holidays.
- Public assembly and entertainment uses.
- Wireless communication facilities intended to provide service to citywide public events.
- Placemaking on private property.
What You Should Know
- An application for a TUP may be approved if it meets the following conditions:
- The proposed use, for the limited time period, will not be detrimental to the purpose and intent of the applicable zone; and
- The approval of the proposed use would result in no more than two TUP’s for the same use/event at the same location in any 365-day period.
- Additional approvals may be required
- All temporary or permanent improvements associated with the temporary use must secure all other permits (e.g. Building Permit, Electrical Permit, Special Events Permit) prior to the use being commenced.
- Single Events Permit from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department is required for special events.
- See Information Bulletin 533.
- Downtown Community Plan area may have additional requirements
- A Letter of Request and Site Construction Plan with a Vicinity Map are required to be submitted with the following information:
- Applicant (name, address, phone number, and e-mail)
- Address of the site
- Existing use of the site
- Proposed temporary use of the site
- Where on the site the temporary use will be conducted
- Type and location of any proposed structures to support the temporary use (e.g., tents, fences)
- Date(s) and hours of operation for the temporary use
- For sales of vehicles - the approximate number
- If the temporary use involves retail sales, explain how the public will access the sale (open to the public, invitation only)
Compliant Outdoor Expansion
You will be required to upload the completed documents from Step 2. Submitting without all the requirements will result in delays.