A temporary use permit (TUP) is for certain uses for limited time periods in locations where the uses would not otherwise be allowed in the applicable zone.
A TUP is required for the following uses:
- Retail sales related to seasonal activities, such as holidays.
- Public assembly and entertainment uses.
- Wireless communication facilities intended to provide service to citywide public events.
- Placemaking on private property.
What You Should Know
- An application for a TUP may be approved if it meets the following conditions:
- The proposed use, for the limited time period, will not be detrimental to the purpose and intent of the applicable zone; and
- The approval of the proposed use would result in no more than two TUP’s for the same use/event at the same location in any 365-day period.
- Additional approvals may be required
- All temporary or permanent improvements associated with the temporary use must secure all other permits (e.g. Building Permit, Electrical Permit, Special Events Permit) prior to the use being commenced.
- Single Events Permit from the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department is required for special events.
- See Information Bulletin 533.
- Downtown Community Plan area may have additional requirements
- A Letter of Request and Site Construction Plan with a Vicinity Map are required to be submitted with the following information:
- Applicant (name, address, phone number, and e-mail)
- Address of the site
- Existing use of the site
- Proposed temporary use of the site
- Where on the site the temporary use will be conducted
- Type and location of any proposed structures to support the temporary use (e.g., tents, fences)
- Date(s) and hours of operation for the temporary use
- For sales of vehicles - the approximate number
- If the temporary use involves retail sales, explain how the public will access the sale (open to the public, invitation only)
Compliant Outdoor Expansion
- Letter of Request
- Site Construction Plan with a Vicinity Map
- Outside Agency Forms (if required)
You will be required to upload the completed documents from Step 2.