After obtaining a permit and beginning construction work, inspections are required before any work can be covered or concealed. Construction is not approved until it has been inspected and accepted by inspection staff. It is the responsibility of the contractor or the owner to schedule all required inspections. Learn more about the inspection process and the types of inspections. All inspections are scheduled online.
Problems Scheduling an Inspection Online?
Please refer to the troubleshooting guide for tips on common inspection scheduling issues, or call 858-492-5070 between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, with general questions about inspections or to report problems with scheduling inspections online.
On this page:
The City conducts more than 200 different types of inspections on commercial and residential projects. These include construction, additions, alterations or demolition of:
- Accessory structures
- Commercial, industrial, and residential projects
- Fire alarm/suppression
- Mechanical, electrical and plumbing
- Private grading and drainage
- Sanitary, vent and gas systems
Summary: Standard inspections must be scheduled at least one day in advance. To schedule online, you must know the Inspection Contact # associated with your project. This number will act as a PIN code, giving you access to the online scheduling system.
If you want the inspector to call you back with an inspection time frame, leave your contact phone number in the "Comments for Inspector" box when scheduling. The inspector will contact you before 10 a.m. on the day of your scheduled inspection.
Schedule: Inspections are performed on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. A high volume of inspection requests may result in some inspections not being completed on the day requested. After-hour, holiday or weekend inspections outside of these hours may be requested at an additional cost.
Cost: Standard inspection costs are included in the permit fees and are conducted at no extra cost to the applicant.
Automated Scheduling of Standard Inspections: Customers can also use the automated phone line 24/7 to schedule a Standard Inspection by calling 858-581-7111.
To schedule an inspection, select your permit below.
Virtual inspections, using the Microsoft Teams conferencing platform, will be conducted with customers at the job site and a City inspector reviewing qualified projects remotely. Here is a list of single-family, duplex and townhouse project types that are qualified for virtual inspections:
- Air Handlers
- Appliance Vent/Chimney
- Backflow Preventor - Domestic
- Condensing Unit for HVAC
- Drain – Repair/Replacement
- Dryer Vent
- Electrical panel and circuits up to 400 Amps
- Electrical vehicle charging stations
- Exhaust Fan
- Furnace/FAU/Wall Heater
- Gas System Leak Repair
- Gas System/Meter
- Heat Pump
- Mini-Split Systems
- Pressure Reducing Valve - Domestic
- Reinspection of minor corrections
- Rooftop-mounted solar photovoltaic
- Sewage Ejector
- Temporary power
- Water heaters
- Water Softener
- Water/Waste Pipe Repair/Replacement
Schedule: VirtVirtual inspections are performed on weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Cost: Virtual inspections are conducted at no extra cost to the applicant if conducted during normal business hours. If conducted outside of normal business hours, see Information Bulletin 501 to view the fee schedule.
Enhanced inspections offer additional non-standard scheduling options. These include:
- Guaranteed Next-Day Inspections: Inspections are guaranteed to be completed during regular business hours on the day selected. Limited to 1/2 hour (30 minutes) per inspection. You cannot specify a time.
- Before/After Hours Inspections: Inspections immediately before or after the inspector’s regular workday, with a maximum inspection time of two hours. Subject to inspector availability.
- Late Night, Weekend/Holiday Inspections: Inspections that need to be performed late nights, weekends or during scheduled holidays for a maximum of 2 hours. Provide at least two business days of advance notice. Subject to inspector availability.
Requirements: All requests shall be submitted to the inspection office a minimum of one business day in advance, except as noted below. Enhanced Inspections can be scheduled by completing and submitting DSD form DS-167.
Cost: Enhanced inspections are subject to additional fees, except the Virtual Inspection option, which is free of additional charge if performed during normal business hours. If a Virtual Inspection is requested during non-business hours, additional fees apply. See Information Bulletin 501 to view the fee schedule.
You can cancel inspections online or through the automated phone line at 858-581-7111. However, canceling inspections on the day that they are scheduled can only be done by contacting Inspection Services during regular business hours (7 a.m. to 4 p.m.) at 858-492-5070.
Inspectors are available by phone on normal business days from 7:15 a.m. to 7:45 a.m. Messages left afterward may not be returned until the following business day. To contact a specific inspector, use the staff directory.
The following is required at the time of inspection:
- Approved plans and documents
- Inspection record card
- An adult 18 years of age or older must be present to allow access to the inspection site
- All household pets shall be secured away from the construction site
- All construction that requires a permit shall be inspected before it is covered or concealed
- Ladders and scaffolds shall comply with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards
- Areas to be inspected shall have adequate lighting
- A safe path of travel shall be provided throughout the inspection site. Crawl spaces must be dry, free of obstruction (i.e., insects, rodents, etc.) and deemed safe by the inspector.
- All electrical panels and junction boxes to be inspected shall be open and accessible for inspection. Inspectors will not open boxes or take apart electrical equipment.
- Certificate of Occupancy is issued for commercial structures after the inspections are completed. Please read Information Bulletin 585 for more information.
- Public Grading and Right-of-Way Inspections are conducted by the Engineering and Capital Projects Department. Contact 858-627-3200 for further information and to schedule inspections.
- Landscape Inspections take place after all landscape and irrigation work is complete. To schedule or cancel landscape inspections, contact the landscape inspector at 619-980-7208 and be ready to provide a project number. Customers must provide two business days advance notice to process their request.
- Mitigation Monitoring Coordination (MMC) - This section is responsible for coordinating the implementation of the Mitigation Monitoring Reporting Program (MMRP) during all phases of the construction process.
- Special Inspections are inspections conducted by third parties. They are in addition to City inspections and are not a substitute.
- Tank Application Inspections (TA) must be completed and finalized by the Fire Prevention Bureau prior to obtaining a final inspection from Development Services for applicants that require a Tank Application (TA) permit from Technical Services. Call 619-533-4400 for more information.
- Construction Industry Exposure Prevention Plan outlines an effective response to a potential exposure event and promotes preventative workplace habits in order to mitigate transmission of the virus between employees, contractors, etc.
- Field Evaluation & Equipment Testing Agencies - The following companies are acceptable to the City of San Diego