About the Department of Finance
The Department of Finance (DoF) provides services to the Mayor and serves as an internal fiscal consultant to the City. The DoF is made up of three divisions, Financial Planning, External Financial Reporting, and
Debt Management & CIP.
The vision is:
To set the national standard for municipal financial management
The mission is:
To provide the highest quality financial services with integrity, transparency, and accountability
Goals and Objectives
Goal 1: Establish strong financial management by applying nationally recognized best practices.
- Establish fiscally sound financial policies
- Prepare fiscally sound balanced budgets
- Promote sound long-term financial and infrastructure planning
Goal 2: Optimize financial resources and safeguard public assets.
- Identify and implement continuous business process improvements to reduce costs and enhance revenues
Goal 3: Provide excellent customer service.
- Encourage collaboration with customer departments
- Pay employees timely and accurately
- Pay vendors timely and accurately
Goal 4: Strengthen the City’s financial knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Develop financial competencies for Department of Finance staff
- Establish and promote financial training programs for relevant staff citywide
Goal 5: Produce relevant, accurate and timely financial information.
- Complete internal and external financial reports accurately and timely, including all relevant disclosures
- Maintain strong internal controls over financial reporting
City Financial Policies
All financial policies have been adopted by the City Council as a resolution. A resolution is a formal expression of opinion or intention of the City Council.
An ordinance is a law adopted by the City Council and usually amend, repeal, or supplement the Municipal Code; provide zoning specifications; or appropriate money for specific purposes.
The City charges a range of fees for services provided to residents and businesses, such as fees for recreational services, inspections and permits, use of City property, and other services. These fees are charged to recover costs associated with the services provided and are detailed in the User Fee Schedule linked below.
- FY2024 User Fee Schedule Revised: August 16, 2023