Skip to main content

Office of the City Treasurer

What if I Do Not Agree with My Bill?

If you do not agree with the amount you are being charged, it is important that you contact us immediately to discuss your dispute. It is best if you gather as much information as possible before you speak with one of our investigators. The more documentation you have to support your claim, the better the chances that our staff can resolve your dispute. When you speak with our staff:

  • Be specific about the nature of your dispute.
  • Provide as much detail as possible when explaining the events related to your dispute (dates, places, etc.)
  • Know what documentation you have and or do not have.
  • If you spoke to someone in the past, be prepared to provide the date, time, and name of the person you spoke with if possible.
  • If you claim that the debt was previously paid, you must provide proof of payment. This is generally a receipt, canceled check or money order, or a credit or debit card receipt. A copy of your check register showing you attempted to pay is not acceptable proof.
  • Understand that our staff cannot "just take your word" for some things. In most cases, you must supply appropriate documentation to support your claim.

Remember that we may not agree with you as to the proper resolution of your dispute. You may interpret the law, relative to your case, differently than we do. Our staff can only tell you how we interpret the law or give you our determination as to the validity of your dispute. They cannot give you legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney.