Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport
- Overnight transient parking: $7 per night for single-engine aircraft and $9 per night for multi-engine aircraft 10,000 lbs. maximum takeoff weight (MTOW) or less; or $1 per 1,000 lbs. for aircraft over 10,000 lbs. MTOW. For example, a Cessna 172 = $7 per night. A Baron = $9 per night. A King Air 200 = $13 per night.
- Overnight vehicle parking: $3 per night for small vehicles. $10 per night for large vehicles. $20 per night for tractor trailers.
- Landing Fees apply to all aircraft on a Part 135 certificate, regardless of how an individual flight is operated. $10 for aircraft 10,000 lbs. MTOW or less, or $1 per 1,000 lbs. for aircraft over 10,000 lbs. MTOW. For example, a Cessna 421 = $10 per landing. A Citation Excel = $20/landing.
- Short Term Operating Permit: $200
- Monthly Tiedown Fees: Single-engine 40 feet x 35 feet, T-shape or open space (1,050 square feet or less) = $115.50 per month
- Spaces exceeding 1050 square feet = $0.11 per square foot
- Conference Room Rental: Contact Airport Operations
- A $10 administrative fee is added to all invoices
- Call the fixed-base operator for fuel prices, ramp fees, hangars, etc.
The airport, originally known as Gibbs Field, opened in 1937 with a single runway. In 1940, William (Bill) Gibbs leased the airport to Ryan School of Aeronautics to train Army Air Corps cadets to fly. The City of San Diego purchased the airport from Gibbs in 1947.
On May 20, 1950, the City of San Diego named the airport Montgomery Field in honor of John J. Montgomery, who is credited with making the first controlled flight in a fixed wing aircraft. Montgomery's first glider flight took place in the Otay Mesa area of San Diego in 1883.
On Jan. 28, 2016, the City of San Diego Council passed a resolution changing the name of the airport to Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport to honor Bill Gibbs and establish a new vision by demonstrating a commitment to the flying public of providing high quality services and facilities.
Today, Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport is a busy general aviation airport. General aviation encompasses all aviation except air carrier and military. The types of general aviation aircraft that operate at Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport include private, corporate, charter, air ambulance, law enforcement, fire rescue, flight training and cargo.
The FAA has classified Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport as a reliever airport for San Diego International Airport - Lindbergh Field. A reliever airport is an airport that serves general aviation aircraft that might otherwise use a congested air carrier airport. Airline passengers benefit by experiencing fewer delays due to air traffic congestion.
Runway 10L/28R: 4577 x 150 feet, asphalt, MIRL, PAPI, MALSR (28R), precision markings (28R), 1176 feet displaced threshold (28R)
Runway 10R/28L: 3401 x 60 feet, asphalt, REIL (28L), basic markings
Runway 5/23: 3400 x 75 feet, asphalt, basic markings, 390 feet displaced threshold (5)
Airport Elevation: 427 feet MSL
Tower: 119.2 MHz (Pri) or 125.7 MHz (Sec) (Manned 0600 - 2100L Daily)
Ground: 118.22 MHz
Clearance Delivery: 123.725 MHz
ATIS: 126.9 MHz
Approach (SOCAL): 124.35 MHz
Departure (SOCAL): 119.6 MHz
CTAF: 119.2 MHz (2100 - 0600 L)
Pilot Controlled Lighting (MALSR/PAPI): 119.2 MHz
UNICOM: 122.95 MHz
Instrument Approaches: ILS OR LOC RWY 28R (111.7), RNAV (GPS) RWY 28R
Right Traffic Runways 28R and 10R
TPA Runways 10L-28R, 10R-28L, and 5-23: 1427 MSL (1000 AGL) single engine, 2027 MSL (1600 AGL) multi engine/turbine
MISSION BAY VORTAC (117.8) 4.8 nm WSW of airfield
Airspace: Class D (0600 - 2100L), otherwise Class G
- Fuel (Jet and Avgas)
- Aircraft and vehicle parking
- Aircraft maintenance
- Flight training
- Aircraft rental
- Aircraft sales
- Aircraft charter
- Car rental
- Pilot Supplies
Advanced Aircraft Service: 858-560-7599
Cessna Service Center and aircraft maintenance
Armed Forces Aero Club: 858-874-2322
Aviation Unlimited: 800-318-8001
Coast Flight Training and Management: 858-279-4359
Flight training and aircraft management services
Casa Machado: (858) 292-4716
Mexican food restaurant
Corporate Helicopters of San Diego: 858-505-5650
Helicopter tours, sales, filming and construction projects
Coast Aircraft: 858-278-3878
Aircraft hangars and maintenance
Crownair Aviation: 858-277-1453
Fixed Base Operator and aircraft maintenance
Four Points by Sheraton: 858-277-8888
Gibbs Flying Service: 858-277-0310
Fixed Base Operator and aircraft maintenance
Learn to Fly San Diego: 858-694-0198
Marv Golden: 858-569-5220 or 800-348-0014
National Air College: 858-279-4595
Fixed Base Operator and flight school
Plus One Flyers
San Diego Air Tours: 888-236-7260
San Diego Flight Training International: 858-569-1822
Spiders Aircraft Service: 858-874-2374
3750 John J. Montgomery Drive
San Diego, CA 92123
Airport Operations: 858-573-1440
Airport Noise Abatement: 858-573-1436
For other questions or concerns, see the Frequently Asked Questions or call 858-573-1440.