Airports Advisory Committee
COVID- 19 PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT REGARDING COMMITTEE, COMMITTEE MEETING ACCESS, AND PUBLIC COMMENT:
Until further notice, the Airports Advisory Committee meetings will be conducted pursuant to the provisions of California Executive Order 29-20, which suspends certain requirements of the Ralph M. Brown Act. During the current State of Emergency and in the interest of public health and safety, Committee members will be participating in meetings by teleconference. In accordance with the Executive Order, there will be no members of the public in attendance at the meetings. We are providing alternatives to in-person attendance for viewing and participating in meetings.
In the interest of public health and safety, Committee members will participate in meetings by teleconference. As such and in accordance with the Executive Order, no members of the public will attend the meetings, but instead view the meeting proceedings as a Webinar attendee via the Zoom Webinar at the link provided above.
In lieu of in-person attendance, members of the public may participate and provide live comment via virtual attendance or written comment using the webform, as follows:
Members of the public wishing to address the Committee under Public Comment in writing may submit a webform prior to the meeting. Instructions for word limitations and deadlines will be noted on the webform. Pursuant to open meeting laws, no discussion or action, other than a referral, shall be taken by the Committee on any comment brought forth under non-agenda public comment.
To those members of the public in attendance via Zoom webinar, please click the button to raise your hand during the portion of the meeting you wish to comment on to indicate that you would like to speak, and staff will enable you to speak and send you a prompt to unmute yourself in order. When staff calls your name, please state name for the record, and you will have three minutes (or a time is allotted by the Chair) to provide comment. After which, you will be placed on mute again. If you are joining via phone, please press star 9 to raise your hand. Staff will call on you by the last 4 digits of your phone number. When staff calls on you, press star 6 to unmute yourself.
The public may view the meetings on YouTube. View meetings at their scheduled time.
Duties and Functions
The Airports Advisory Committee shall:
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Mayor and City Council on selected issues related to airport policies and development projects at Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport and Brown Field.
- Provide recommendations to airport staff on selected actions that require Council approval
- Conduct public meetings to provide a forum for, and receive input on, airport-related issues
- Recommend methods of improving communications and relations between the member-represented communities, airport users and the City
- Serve as liaisons between the public, airport tenants, and the City
- Provide advice, input and support to the City's Real Estate Assets Department, Airports Division, when requested
- The Airports Advisory Committee shall have no managerial, financial or budgetary authority
The Airports Advisory Committee consists of 12 members, who shall serve without compensation. Each member is appointed by the Mayor, then confirmed by City Council, and is a resident of the County of San Diego.
For a list of Committee members, please see the City Clerk's website.
Members shall serve four year terms and shall serve until a successor is duly appointed and confirmed. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms. Initial members shall be appointed such that the terms of not more than four such members shall expire in any year so as to allow the members' terms to be staggered. For the initial appointments, four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2013; four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2014; and four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2015. Members whose initial appointments are less than the full term of four years will be allowed to serve their partial term and then two full terms. The expiration date of all terms shall be Feb. 28. Any vacancy shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term. Vacancy appointment recommendations will come from the Mayor. Any vacancy replacements will be eligible to serve the remaining term of the vacant position and two full terms.
The Airports Advisory Committee shall be comprised of persons who are both pilots and non-pilots; persons who are sensitive to the needs of the users of Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport, Brown Field, and the surrounding communities; and persons who are sensitive to the role of general aviation in the area. Specifically, the Airports Advisory Committee shall be comprised of:
- One member who represents the Serra Mesa community
- One member who represents the Tierrasanta community
- One member who represents the Clairemont community
- One member who represents the Kearny Mesa community
- One member who represents the Otay Mesa community
- One member who represents a Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport aviation user group
- One member who represents a Brown Field aviation user group
- One member who represents the Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport aviation lessees
- One member who represents the Brown Field aviation lessees
- Three members who have special expertise that will benefit the Committee
The Airports Advisory Committee was re-established as a permanent advisory committee in conformance with City Charter section 43(a) by Ordinance O-20013, dated Jan. 18, 2011.