The unit promotes justice and protects the people of San Diego by aggressively and fairly prosecuting those who violate the law. This unit is responsible for processing, negotiating, and trying all cases to which defendants plead not guilty.
The unit handles a wide variety of crimes, including:
- driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs,
- boating under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs,
- being under the influence or in possession of drugs,
- weapons offenses,
- reckless driving,
- furnishing alcohol to minors,
- minors in possession of alcohol,
- resisting arrest,
- embezzlement, and
- credit card fraud and identity theft.
Trial deputies handle trials, various hearings such as probation revocation hearings, and restitution hearings, as well as arraignment and trial readiness.
Driving under the influence of drugs and drug and alcohol combo cases are prosecuted by a specialized team of experienced deputies who vertically handle these cases throughout each step of the criminal process. The unit steadfastly protects the rights of crime victims by obtaining restitution orders and making San Diego a safer community for everyone.