The previous requirement for professional certification is no longer required. Photovoltaic (PV) projects meeting the criteria below do not require a plan review and can be submitted electronically using a Residential Rooftop-Mounted Solar PV Permit.
A Residential Rooftop-Mounted Solar PV Permit is required to install a residential rooftop-mounted solar PV system or solar photovoltaic shingles. PV systems for single-family, duplex or townhouse roof installations designed per the template in Information Bulletin 301 can be submitted through this streamlined process with no plan review with the limits/allowances below.
- Not more than 14 kW maximum output.
- Located on a sloped roof where the roof height exceeds the height of the PV panels.
- Structural review not required (see IB-301, Section II, C, 1).
- No work necessitating a Combination Building Permit such as structural modifications to the roof structure, adding a new structure, etc.
Scope can include the following scope of work, in addition to PV installation:
- A panel upgrade of up to 320 amps.
- An energy storage system where each unit has a maximum rating of 20 kWh and the total amount of energy storage systems not more than 40 kWh.
- An Inverter-integrated electric vehicle charger.
Please include the information above in the scope of work on the Title Sheet to allow for quicker processing.
Your PDF documents MUST meet our upload requirements. See Step 2 for more info.
You will be required to upload the completed PDF documents from Steps 3 and 4.