Skip to main content

Development Services

Decision-making Processes, Appeals & Interpretations

Decision processes, public hearings, and appeals are conducted in accordance with the San Diego Municipal Code.

Discretionary Projects

At a hearing the decision-maker will either approve, conditionally approve or deny applications for discretionary projects.

Guaranteed Second Opinion and Project Issue Resolution Conference options are also available for Discretionary Projects.

Ministerial Projects

Appeals to interpretation of the codes are available on ministerial projects.

  • Guaranteed Second Opinion
    The City of San Diego Development Services Department is dedicated to meeting customer service needs; staff welcomes the opportunity to seek additional clarification.  If a customer disagrees with a staff interpretation, City staff or the customer may request a second opinion from the supervisor, senior staff member or the project manager.  If the issue cannot be resolved via a Second Opinion, the customer may seek a Project Issue Resolution Conference.
  • Project Issue Resolution Conference
    Project Issue Resolution (PIR) conferences provide customers an opportunity to have issues heard and considered by executive department management.  A PIR will be considered if, after the issuance of the third Assessment Letter for discretionary projects, customers and staff have been unable to resolve project issues.  For ministerial projects, PIR conferences may be request by the applicant after the third cycle review comments are issues.  Relevant City staff, applicant and applicant consultant(s) as deemed appropriate, must attend.  Determinations resulting from the PIR process are solely intended to break review log-jams and streamline the review process.  The PIR would address issues such as disagreements between the applicant and staff on interpretations of codes or ordinances, requests for additional information or studies, or project-related processing requirements.  Any determinations from a PIR are not binding on any City decision-making body, such as City Council, Planning Commission, or Hearing Officer.  Qualifying PIR requests should be coordinated with the assigned Development Project Manager (discretionary) or specific reviewer (ministerial).