City-issued containers are expected to have a lifespan of 10 years. If the container becomes defective before the 10-year warranty is up, a prorated fee will apply to the replacement.
It is your responsibility to replace trash containers. Property owners who need to replace a damaged, lost or stolen trash container must now:
- obtain containers from the Environmental Services Department for a $70 (additional delivery charge may apply); or
- purchase approved containers from another source such as a home improvement store.
If you are requesting new service, download a new service request application.
||One-time, Non-refundable User Fee
||Black trash container
Prorated fee may apply.
Call Customer Service, 858-694-7000
for exact amount and availability
||Blue recycling container
(Up to two)
Call Customer Service, 858-694-7000
Black and blue container
Black Trash Bin
- Second and additional trash containers will cost the full $70 plus delivery charge if applicable.
- Lost or stolen trash containers will cost the full $70 for replacement plus delivery charge if applicable.
- Trash containers damaged by misuse or by a third party will cost the full $70 for replacement plus delivery charge if applicable.
- Containers in use for more than 10 years will be replaced for $70 plus delivery, if applicable. Containers within the 10 year lifespan will cost a prorated fee based on $7 per year, plus delivery charge, if applicable. Call Customer Service at 858-694-7000 for exact amount.
- Newly constructed residential properties will receive the first trash container free of charge. This does not include remodels, but applies only to new homes with new addresses.
Blue Recycling Bin
- If picked up, one additional blue recycling container is available at no cost. Otherwise, there is a $25 one-time non-refundable fee for delivery.
To request delivery of an additional container or replacement of a lost, stolen, or damaged container, call Customer Service at 858-694-7000 to place your order and the amount due (if applicable). When calling for container replacement or repair, please be prepared to give the following information: Name, Address, Phone Number, and Container Serial Number.
Please provide your Name, Service Request Number and Container Size requested (medium, or large) with your check or money order. Please include your email address along with your payment to receive important email messages about delivery dates and payment receipts. Also include the address of where you would like the container to be delivered. Deliveries may take between two and six weeks after payment is received. Mail payment to:
8353 Miramar Place
San Diego, CA 92121
Check/money order payable to: City Treasurer
To pick up the container yourself (blue or black containers), bring Visa, MasterCard, debit card, check/money order, or cash (exact amount ONLY) to the address above, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Call 858-694-7000 to establish a work order and confirm container supply.
Please bring the damaged container with you, if applicable. You are responsible for securing containers to or inside your vehicle for safe transport. (3-feet 10-inches-tall, 2-feet 2-inches-wide, 2-feet, 8-inches-deep.)
Please note: Visa, MasterCard, debit cards, check/money order, or cash (exact amount ONLY) are only accepted for payments made in person at the office at 8353 Miramar Place.
Purchase an Approved Container from Another Source
- Containers must have certain features to be compatible with the City's collection trucks.
- Trash containers must be black.
- Containers must be one of the following brands and models:
- Rehrig-Pacific - ROC-65, ROC-95-U
- Toter, Inc. - EVR Universal Cart 64- or 96-gallon
- Containers can be purchased from any home improvement store or outlet that sells these models.
- Containers purchased from vendors other than the City of San Diego are subject to standard vendor warranties.
If you have questions, see the Frequently Asked Questions, contact Environmental Services at 858-694-7000, or email [email protected]