The City of San Diego has provided trash collection services to the public for more than 90 years. This year, crews will collect about 325,000 tons of trash from 289,000 residences in San Diego. Crews will also collect over 60,000 tons of household recyclables and over 30,000 tons of yard waste to be recycled.
Trash is collected weekly, Monday-Friday, 6 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The collection day depends on where you live in the City. Trash must be set out at the curb or alleyway by 6 a.m. for pickup. To help prevent litter in our neighborhoods, please bag or wrap all loose trash material before you place it in your trash container.
No collection of City of San Diego trash, recyclables, or yard waste on the following City-observed holidays:
- Memorial Day, May 30
- Independence Day, July 4
- Labor Day, Sept. 5
- Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 24
- Christmas Day (City observed holiday), Dec. 26
- New Year's Day (City observed holiday), Jan. 2
Starting the day of the holiday, trash is collected one day later for the remainder of that week (Tuesday's trash will be picked up Wednesday, etc., and Friday's trash will be collected Saturday).
- What Goes in Your Yard Waste Bin?
- Curbside Yard Waste Recycling Program Brochure
- New Service Request Application
- Automated Trash Collection Brochure
- Trash Collection Business Tax
- Impuesto del Recolector de Basura
- Eligibility and Service Standards of Waste Collection
For questions or concerns, see the Frequently Asked Questions or contact Environmental Services at (858) 694-7000 or email [email protected].