With a unique connection to San Diego's biotech industry, the La Jolla-Riford Library is believed to be the first in the country to feature a public biotech laboratory. The Bio Lab is part of an innovation space at the library that also includes 3D printers and a 50-person capacity classroom. La Jolla-Riford Library opened in 1989, thanks to a generous land donation from Ms. Florence Riford. At 25,000 square feet, the library features a cozy fireplace, enclosed outdoor reading patio, spacious community room with a piano and art gallery, and the History Room which houses a comprehensive collection of La Jolla historical documents and newspaper archives.
4pm - 5pm
Preschoolers, Elementary School Age
9:30am - 11:30am
Emerging Adults, Adults, Older Adults
10:30am - 11am
4pm - 5pm
Preschoolers, Elementary School Age, Middle School Age
10:30am - 11am
The IDEA LAB at the La Jolla/Riford Library is open to any member of the community who is curious about science or has an idea they want to try out. Those are the words of Callen Hyland, a Senior Research Scientist at the University of San Diego and one of the labs passionate volunteers. Since the Idea Labs grand opening on May 25, 2019, volunteers and patrons have made excellent use of the signature space. The lab has three main aspectsa community biology lab, a 3D printer lab, and two brand new Mac computers equipped to edit digitized photos and videos.
- Complete3D Print Request form (all fields are required to process your request).
- Send request form and .STL file email@example.com.
File name should read: Your First_Last Name_Date Submitted_Model Name.stl
- Files will be printed in the order in which they are received.
- 3D print model must be in .STL format.
- Turnaround time for print requests will be at least one week, you will be notified when print is ready for pickup.
- Prints must be picked up at the La Jolla/Riford Library.
- 3-hour print time limit per week.
- Multi-Part Prints: Please submit separate requests for each part of your project.
- The library staff reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request.
- Staff cannot guarantee model quality or stability, nor confidentiality of designs.
Note: Staff donot remove rafts and supports
Parking - 20 parking spaces, including 2 disability accessible spaces
Public Transportation - Bus Route 30
Computers for Public Use - 10 available
Meeting/Study Rooms - • Seminar Room – 35 people
• Community Room – 75 people
• Patio Room - 15 people
Special Collections - • La Jolla History Room
• La Jolla Cove Swim Club Special Collection
Special Resources - • IDEA Lab
• Memory Lab