The City of San Diego has a Flexible Benefits Plan (IRS Section 125 Cafeteria plan) which provides employees with the opportunity to obtain certain benefits, such as healthcare insurance, on a pre-tax basis. Employees also receive FBP credits to help off-set the cost of these benefits. Below are the steps to help you plan and enroll in your Flexible Benefits options.
Determine Your Benefit Options
- Attend the Benefits Orientation
NOTE: If you have not been contacted by the Flexible Benefits Office within 7 days of your hire or promotion date, contact the Flexible Benefits Office to attend an orientation.
Employee Benefits Orientation Presentation
Savings Plans Handout
- Review your benefit options in the FY18 Benefits Information and Cost booklet
- Determine your Flexible Benefits Plan (FBP) Credits
- Select your Basic Life Insurance - required
- Choose your Medical plan or waive enrollment - required
- Select Dental and Vision plans- optional
- Enroll in Flexible Spending Account - optional
- Dental/Medical/Vision (DMV)
- Dependent/Child Care (DCC)
- Enroll in 401(k) flex - optional
Use the Flexible Benefits Plan Calculator to assist you in the calculation of your options.
Enroll in Benefits Online
The enrollment process is completed using a City computer online at: SAP Portal/Self-Services (requires log-in and password)
- Set-up the "Landing Page for Self-Services" (one-time process)
- In CoSD My Services page (expand tile):
- Personal Information/Personal Profile: enter all family member/dependent information (need dates of birth and Social Security numbers) for family members who will be added to a health plan or listed as a beneficiary
- Benefits/Enroll for Your Benefits: confirm Benefits Consent form and make plan selections
- Benefits Enrollment Overview/Participation Overview: review, save, and print enrollment selections
A is available which provides an overview of the process.
Note: Employees who enroll in HMO plans (except Kaiser) need to enter the medical and/or dental physician ID number, for yourself and dependents, in the SAP Self-Services/Personal Profile Page. If this field is left blank you and your dependents will be assigned to a provider near your home.
If you will be enrolling your dependents (e.g. spouse, children) in health benefits or submitting claims for Flexible Spending Accounts (see below), you are required to provide dependent verification documents - marriage certificate, Affidavit of Domestic Partnership, Birth Certificates, etc. - within 30 days of enrollment. If documents are not submitted your dependents may be dis-enrolled.