San Diego

Accessibility Tools

  • Check if your spelling is correct, or try removing filters.
  • Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue drop" will match less than blue drop.
  • You can require or exclude terms using + and -: big +blue drop will require a match on blue while big blue -drop will exclude results that contain drop.

General/Claim Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get a Liability Claim Form?

The Liability Claim Form can be downloaded, mailed or faxed to you. The form must be mailed or faxed to the Risk Management Department.

To have the form mailed, faxed or emailed to you, contact the Public Liability Division of the Risk Management Department at 619-236-6670.

Risk Management Department
1200 Third Ave., 10th Floor
San Diego, CA 92101

Office Hours: Due to COVID-19, offices are temporarily closed to the public.

Does it cost me anything to file a claim?

There is no cost associated with the filing of a claim.

What information do I need to send in with my claim form?

As with all claims, you should provide any information that you believe will support your claim. (i.e., estimates, photographs and diagrams)

What happens to my claim?

After your claim is received by Risk Management, it is assigned to a Claims Representative. The Claims Representative reviews the claim and supporting documents. If the Claims Representative has any questions, he or she will contact you. If not, he or she proceeds with a review of your claim.

Once I file my claim, how long does it take to hear from Risk Management?

The Claims Representative will move quickly to resolve your claim.  As soon as the Claims Representative has all the necessary information, you will be advised if your claim is approved or denied.

If my claim is denied, what is my next step?

When a claim is denied, the claimant is provided with a written response outlining the remedies allowed by state law.

I saw a pothole in the street that could cause an accident. Is the Risk Management Department the place to call to report this so it can be fixed?

No. If you see a condition in the City of San Diego that creates a potential hazard to the public or if would like to submit a service request for a street or sidewalk repair, you may submit a Get It Done Request at https://www.sandiego.gov/get-it-done. Additional information including the direct Emergency Services telephone number to the Street Division is also available on the Transportation Department’s website at https://www.sandiego.gov/street-div.

Is the City responsible for claims that happen on the Trolley or a City bus?

Both the San Diego Trolley and the San Diego Transit are under the jurisdiction of the Metropolitan Transportation Development Board. Should you wish to file a claim against either of these two operations, contact Public Transit Customer Service at 619-238-0100.