Municipal Waterways Maintenance Plan
The City of San Diego is responsible for a storm drain system that conveys runoff from local neighborhoods to the Pacific Ocean. Portions of the storm drain system require periodic maintenance to remove accumulated sediment, vegetation and trash that impedes water flow and increases flood risks. The City’s former Master Storm Water System Maintenance Program (MSWSMP) described the process for planning and performing maintenance activities. That program expired in 2018.
The City has developed a new Municipal Waterways Maintenance Plan that will guide maintenance of the storm drain system following the expiration of the MSWSMP. This plan has been adapted to more efficiently provide public safety through a pro-active and responsive maintenance schedule that minimizes and mitigates effects on the environment; and streamlines subsequent authorizations.
The Municipal Waterways Maintenance Plan includes:
The Municipal Waterways Maintenance Plan's Final Environmental Impact Report can be accessed through the City of San Diego Planning Department by typing "Municipal Waterways Maintenance Plan" into the search bar on the Final Environmental Documents webpage.
Schedule (Updated 06/10/2021)
- 1st Public Outreach Meeting: July 18, 2016
- CEQA Environmental Impact Report Notice of Preparation: July 12 – August 11, 2017
- CEQA Scoping Meetings: July 25, 2017 & August 1, 2017
- Regulatory Permit Submittals: Fall/Winter 2019
- CEQA Draft Environmental Impact Report Public Review and Comment: November 26, 2019 - January 10, 2020
- City Council Ordinance, Site Development Permit, and Coastal Development Permit Approval; and Final Environmental Impact Report Certification: June 23, 2020
- Other Regulatory Permit Approvals: Summer/Fall 2021
CEQA Public Scoping Meetings
- July 25, 2017
5:00 – 6:30 pm
Scripps Miramar Ranch Branch Library
- August 1, 2017
5:00 - 6:30 pm
Colonel Irving Salomon San Ysidro Community Activity Center
- July 13, 2016
6:30 - 8:00 pm
Malcom X Library
These reports document activities conducted by the Stormwater Department to implement the MWMP each fiscal year following the program's approval in June 2020. The City of San Diego fiscal year begins July 1st and ends June 30th.