Airports Advisory Committee
The Airports Advisory Committee meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 3 p.m. at the Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport Terminal Building, 3750 John J. Montgomery Drive, unless otherwise noted.
Duties and Functions
The Airports Advisory Committee shall:
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Mayor and City Council on selected issues related to airport policies and development projects at Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport and Brown Field.
- Provide recommendations to airport staff on selected actions that require Council approval
- Conduct public meetings to provide a forum for, and receive input on, airport-related issues
- Recommend methods of improving communications and relations between the member-represented communities, airport users and the City
- Serve as liaisons between the public, airport tenants, and the City
- Provide advice, input and support to the City's Real Estate Assets Department, Airports Division, when requested
- The Airports Advisory Committee shall have no managerial, financial or budgetary authority
The Airports Advisory Committee consists of 12 members, who shall serve without compensation. Each member is appointed by the Mayor, then confirmed by City Council, and is a resident of the County of San Diego.
Members shall serve four year terms and shall serve until a successor is duly appointed and confirmed. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms. Initial members shall be appointed such that the terms of not more than four such members shall expire in any year so as to allow the members' terms to be staggered. For the initial appointments, four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2013; four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2014; and four members shall be appointed to an initial term that will expire Feb. 28, 2015. Members whose initial appointments are less than the full term of four years will be allowed to serve their partial term and then two full terms. The expiration date of all terms shall be Feb. 28. Any vacancy shall be filled for the remainder of the unexpired term. Vacancy appointment recommendations will come from the Mayor. Any vacancy replacements will be eligible to serve the remaining term of the vacant position and two full terms.
The Airports Advisory Committee shall be comprised of persons who are both pilots and non-pilots; persons who are sensitive to the needs of the users of Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport, Brown Field, and the surrounding communities; and persons who are sensitive to the role of general aviation in the area. Specifically, the Airports Advisory Committee shall be comprised of:
- One member who represents the Serra Mesa community
- One member who represents the Tierrasanta community
- One member who represents the Clairemont community
- One member who represents the Kearny Mesa community
- One member who represents the Otay Mesa community
- One member who represents a Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport aviation user group
- One member who represents a Brown Field aviation user group
- One member who represents the Montgomery-Gibbs Executive Airport aviation lessees
- One member who represents the Brown Field aviation lessees
- Three members who have special expertise that will benefit the Committee
The Airports Advisory Committee was re-established as a permanent advisory committee in conformance with City Charter section 43(a) by Ordinance O-20013, dated Jan. 18, 2011.