If you operate (drive) human-powered vehicles for hire, you must have an operating permit. To get this, you must provide the following:
- A valid California driver's license
- Proof that you are at least 18 years old (the driver's license is acceptable)
- A valid City of San Diego Business Tax Certificate (business license). Location to purchase City or San Diego Business Tax License - 1200 3rd Ave. at the Civic Center Plaza, City Treasurer's office on the first floor.
- Two recent color passport photos. Photos must be 2"x2" - no exceptions. Hazy or unclear photos are not acceptable and will be returned.
- A $91 processing fee if paying by check make (payable to "City Treasurer") or cash; no charge cards or debit cards.
You will be issued a permit with your name and photograph on it. The permit is valid until December 31st of the calendar year in which it is issued. Permits must be clearly visible at all times while you are operating the vehicle. SDPD is asking operators to wear them on their person and not attach them to the vehicle.
Persons who are required to register as a sex offender will be denied a permit.
Persons who have been convicted of certain specific crimes relating to the operation of a pedicab (including, but not limited to assault, battery, robbery, other crimes of violence, and driving under the influence) may not be eligible to obtain a permit.
Note: If you lose your permit, there will be a $91 processing fee and you must provide two additional passport photos. The expiration date on the permit will be the same as the license lost. (No exceptions will be made)
Engaging in unsafe operation of a pedicab - including driving under the influence, violating traffic laws, and other unsafe and/or illegal activities - can result in the confiscation of your permit by the Police Department.
Please refer to the City of San Diego Pedicab Bulletin for additional information.