Mira Mesa Community Plan Update
On this page:
On December 5, 2022, the San Diego City Council approved the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update. The updated Community Plan take into account current conditions, Citywide goals in the Climate Action Plan and the General Plan, and community specific goals to provide direction for the long-term development of the community. During the update process, City Planning Department staff worked with the Mira Mesa community and the public to identify and consider important questions, issues, and opportunities including:
- How will Mira Mesa grow over the next 20-30 years?
- How can the community best plan for residential and employment growth?
- What services, infrastructure or facilities are needed to meet this growth?
- How can we build on the positive economic effect of Mira Mesa?
This initiative focuses on the following priority areas of the Strategic Plan:
Create Homes for All of Us
Focuses opportunities for housing within mixed-use and residential areas.
Protect & Enrich Every Neighborhood
Identifies opportunities for public spaces and pocket parks, trails and joint-use facilities.
Provides guidance for the future identification and preservation of historical resources and districts that embody architectural and cultural history.
Advance Mobility & Infrastructure
Identifies opportunities for mobility infrastructure that improves walking, rolling, biking and transit connections.
Promotes opportunities for urban greening and street trees to address stormwater runoff and climate change.
Protects canyons, open space and sensitive habitat.
Foster Regional Prosperity
Promotes employment uses as economic drivers connected to regional transit.
Project Completion: 2022
Plan update outreach:
- 31 meetings with the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update Advisory Committee, 9 events (open house, workshops, & pop-up-booth), stakeholder interviews with major employers, trade associations, and community organizations, and several online surveys provided an opportunity for a broad and representative public engagement.
Adopted Mira Mesa Community Plan & Associated Documents
On December 5, 2022, the San Diego City Council approved the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update and associated documents. A second hearing occured on January 10, 2023 to finalize the approval of ordinances (i.e., CPIOZ, Rezone, etc.) that will help implement the Mira Mesa Community Plan. The ordinances went into effect on February 12, except for areas inside the Coastal Zone, which still requires certification from the California Coastal Commission.
Final Program Environmental Impact Report
City Planning Department has prepared a Final Program Environmental Impact Report (PEIR) for the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update, which was certified by the San Diego City Council on December 5, 2022.
A Draft PEIR and associated documents are also available below:
- Draft Program Environmental Impact Report for the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update
- Appendix A - NOP and Scoping Comments
- Appendix B - Air Quality Report
- Appendix C - Biological Resources Report
- Appendix D - Geotechnical Evaluation
Mobility Technical Report
The Appendix summarize the physical and operational conditions of the planned mobility system outlined in the Mira Mesa Community Plan. This report identifies planned mobility improvements and analysis of all travel modes under the planning horizon year 2050.
Community Discussion Draft
- Community Discussion Draft is a preliminary draft of the Mira Mesa Community Plan and contains the community vision, goals, and policies.
- Draft Plan Figures contain maps, tables, and diagrams related to planned land use, zoning, mobility, public facility, parks, and community plan implementation overlay zone (CPIOZ) supplemental development regulations.
Community Engagment Report
- Phase I Draft Community Engagement Report for the Mira Mesa Community Plan Update
- Appendix A of the Phase I Draft Mira Mesa Community Plan Update Engagement Report
- Brochure for Mira Mesa Community Plan Update
Mira Mesa Community Atlas: Existing Conditions Report
View the Community Atlas, broken down by chapter.
Mira Mesa Community Planning Group - Plan Update Advisory Committee Documents
Access all agendas, presentations, and other documents from the Community Plan Update Advisory Committee of the Mira Mesa Community Planning Group.
Workshop & Forum Documents and Materials
Access all materials (including reports and presentations) and links from workshops and forums.
Land Use & Economic Studies
Access all economic studies that have been prepared as part of the plan update process.
Access all mobility studies that have been prepared as part of the plan update process.
Alex Frost, Senior Planner