Community plans are a part of the City's General Plan Land Use and Community Planning Element. Community plans build upon the more general citywide policies established in the General Plan with policy recommendations that apply at the community and neighborhood level. Community plan updates will ensure consistency between the General Plan and community's land use policies and infrastructure strategies.
Learn About Implementing the General Plan
Since the adoption of the General Plan in 2008, the Planning Department has completed a comprehensive plan update to fifteen community plans to better reflect current conditions and the long-term vision under the General Plan City of Villages strategy:
- Barrio Logan (2021) *Pending California Coastal Commission certification
- Encanto (2015)
- Greater Golden Hill (2016)
- Kearny Mesa (2020)
- Midway-Pacific Highway (2018)
- Mira Mesa (2022) *Pending California Coastal Commission certification
- Mission Valley (2019)
- Navajo (focused plan amendment) (2015)
- North Park (2016)
- Ocean Beach (2015)
- Old Town San Diego (2018)
- Otay Mesa (2015)
- San Ysidro (2016)
- Southeastern San Diego (2015)
- Uptown (2016)
As plans are completed, the Planning Department evaluates which community plans to begin updating as part of the annual work program.
Currently in Process
There are four community plan updates in process. Click below for more information on getting involved with the community plan updates.