The Linda Vista Community comprises about 2,400 acres west of Mission Bay and north of Mission Valley. The planning area is generally bounded on the south by Friars Road, on the west by Interstate 5, on the north by Tecolote Canyon and Mesa College Drive, and on the east by State Route 163.
Linda Vista is home to a diverse community of residents, and a diverse mix of land uses including residential neighborhoods, mixed use transit corridors along Morena Boulevard and Linda Vista Road, the University of San Diego, and Mesa Community College. Development in Linda Vista began with the Silver Terrace subdivision in the late 1880s. The community's greatest growth spurt occurred between 1941 and 1945. During World War II, the entire region faced an unexpected defense boom that resulted in an enormous influx of residents to staff the burgeoning defense industry. Housing shortages became so acute that factory officials reported an inability to recruit sufficient labor. As a result, the federal government began to build housing in San Diego, the largest of which was in Linda Vista. Three thousand dwelling units were built over a period of one year using mass production techniques.