Job Start @ the Library
San Diego, CA 92101
Career Center Hours of Operation*
Monday: 9:30 a.m. - noon & 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:30 a.m. - noon & 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:30 a.m. - noon & 1 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 a.m. - noon & 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 9:30 a.m. - noon & 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Branches throughout the City provide computers and wireless Internet access. There are numerous circulating and reference books in libraries to support job seekers, including books on career guidance, job search, internships, apprenticeships, jobs abroad, resumes, interviews, cover letters, exam preparation, workplace rights, and much more.
For Branch Libraries hours and locations, please see our Location Information here.
Career Centers in the City of San Diego:
- Metro Career Center | (619) 516-2200
3910 University Avenue, Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92105
- South Metro Career Center | (619) 266-4200
4389 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch Career Center | (619) 231-4289
330 Park Blvd., 5th Floor, Room 555, San Diego, CA 92101
Local Classified Listing
- U-T Jobs - Career site of The San Diego Union-Tribune. Includes searchable classified ad listings and articles and advice on the local job market.
- Craigslist.org - Popular local community classifieds.
- Backpage.com - Listings partnered with the San Diego Reader and Job Giant.
- Jobing.com - Jobing.com is an employment site and producer of job fairs. They are partnered with local training and community organizations.
National Job Banks
- Indeed.com - Specialized and recommended search engine for unified searching across multiple job listing sites.
- Monster.com - Major job listing and career development site, with local and international operations.
- CareerBuilder.com - Major job listing service, partnered with hundreds of newspapers, web sites, and employment organizations.
- EmploymentGuide.com - Online version of The Employment Guide classifieds magazine.
- CalJOBS - Search job listings and post resumes for prospective employers. From California's Employment Development Department (EDD).
- City of San Diego Employment Opportunities
- County of San Diego - Department of Human Resources
- San Diego County Office of Education
- USAJOBS - The official job site of the U.S. Federal Government.
- America's Job Exchange - Commercial site partnered with state employment agencies.
- The Job-Hunt & Quintessential Careers directories each list specialized job boards by profession, industry, background, location, and more.
- SnagAJob.com - Specializes in part-time and hourly employment.
- U.S. Small Business Administration -Learn about SBA loan programs and business counseling services for entrepreneurs.
- CareerOneStop.org (U.S. Dept. of Labor)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- San Diego area Labor Market Information
Directories and How-To
- Job-Hunt & Quintessential Careers - Directories to all things job-search. Good for locating specialized resources by industry, profession, or topic.
- JobHuntersBible.com - Companion site to the classic career guidance book 'What Color is Your Parachute'.
Premium Online Resources
- Hoover's Company Capsules & Profiles (ProQuest) Company descriptions, key officers, and news for more than 17,000 public and private enterprises worldwide.
- ReferenceUSA (InfoUSA) U.S. business, residential, and healthcare directories. Find businesses by type, size, location and more.
Job Search Support
- San Diego Workforce Partnership and San Diego Public Library have a wide range of job search support resources.
- Goodwill Employment Centers provide free assistance with the job search, application, and interview process. Five locations throughout San Diego County. The main office is at: 3663 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110; 619-225-2200.
- 2·1·1 San Diego is an online directory of more than 2,000 agencies in San Diego County providing basic needs, employment support, training, legal, health, and other services. Phone: 211
- FindLocalHelp part of the Department of Labor's CareerOneStop network, is a directory of local service providers by topic and agency.
- Day labor agencies contract workers for a single day's labor and some longer placements. Larger local day labor agencies include People Ready and Allied Forces.
- A comprehensive list of employment agencies can be found through Yellow Page listings or online.
Unemployment and Workplace Rights
- The California Employment Development Department (EDD) provides unemployment claim filing and job search support. Telephone assistance at 1-800-300-5616. Claims can be filed online, by phone, fax, or mail, but not in person. Partnered offices support job search and provide phones and Internet access for filing, but do not process applications: in San Diego at 4389 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113; 619-266-4200.
- The California Department of Industrial Relations has additional information on workplace issues.
- The Legal Aid Society of San Diego offers clinics to assist with applications and hearings for social services.
- San Diego Metro Career Center offers job search and job training workshops.
- San Diego Community College District and Continuing Education - The San Diego Community College District includes City College, Mesa College, Miramar College, and six continuing education campuses. Courses include adult basic education, career technical training, computer, business, academic, and personal development programs.
- Other area community college districts include:
- Extended Studies through SDSU, UCSD, and USD - Extended studies programs available through local universities offer vocational and certificate programs in a wide range of fields.
- Center for Employment Training - San Diego - Provides job training and placement in building maintenance, electronic assembly, and welding. Located in Grant Hill.
- Comprehensive Training Services - Provides certification, job training, and placement in computer, medical, and building industries. Located in City Heights and Imperial Beach.
- Occupational Training Services - Provides job training and placement in office and medical support. Located in Clairemont.
- San Diego and Imperial Counties Labor Council - Provides job search, technical skills training, and job search support resources.