Design Guidelines & Templates
On this page:
The City's Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (The "WHITEBOOK") is one of several manuals referenced below. The "WHITEBOOK" addresses the unique conditions in the City of San Diego that are not addressed in the "GREENBOOK." While it is used primarily used for Capital Improvements Program construction projects, any project which is proposing new public facilities -- including but not limited to streets, sidewalk, curb and gutter, pedestrian ramps and storm drain, or improving existing public facilities -- is required to adhere to these construction specifications.
The City's Standard Drawings is another manual referenced in the Grading and Right-Of-Way Plan templates. These drawings:
- Provide details for construction consistent with the WHITEBOOK.
- May be referenced on each type of construction plan in lieu of providing the detail on the plan.
- Shall be used in conjunction with the latest City adopted editions of the Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (The "GREENBOOK").
These templates and format/instructions do not replace the Project Submittal Requirements contained in the City's Land Development Manual. Use the standard plan sheet templates below for submitting plans for the project type listed, including the standard language needed for the submitted construction documents.
These plan sheet templates are provided in three formats:
- AutoCAD® (CAD/DWG)
- Portable Document Format (PDF) for viewing using Adobe Acrobat Reader,
- DXF/ASCII text.A Drawing Interchange File (DXF) is a standard ASCII text file with a file extension of DXF and specially formatted text. They are easily translated to CAD system formats or are submitted to other programs for processing directly.
These templates and format/instructions for grading and improvement plans pertain primarily to the Land Development Review (LDR) disciplines for projects submitted to secure an engineering permit.
Correct use of these templates can reduce the number of plan corrections returned by the Development Services Department. Altering the cover sheets -- other than adding information where specified -- may result in required revisions before the plans can be approved.
- Right of Way Permit-Construction Plan (DS-3179): Construction Plan-sheets 1 & X of Y include text fields that are required to be completed. Use these construction plans if associated with permit applications to construct minor standard improvements within the public Right-of-Way or to construct minor standard improvements within easements that have previously been dedicated to the public.
The DWG and DXF Construction Plan CAD files have been provided as a convenience to individuals with the associated software. These templates MAY NOT BE MODIFIED FROM THE ORIGINAL LAYOUT AND CONTENT.
- Right of Way Permit-Construction Plan-Large Format (DS-3179C): This second series of "Large Format" files have been formatted to C-Sheet (18- by 24-inch) size and are only intended to be used with those plans that require a larger plot area to best illustrate the existing and proposed improvements at a corresponding optimal scale and orientation. Unlike the process for standard size construction plans, prior to permit issuance, a print package of the approved plan is required for plans to be routed to the field for inspection.
- PDF Construction Plan - Large Format (DS-3179C) (PDF)
- DWG Construction Plan - Large Format (DS-3179C) (CAD)
- DXF Construction Plan - Large Format (DS-3179C) (DXF)
- Utility Construction Plan - Large Format(DS-3179C) (PDF)
- DWG Utility Construction Plan - Large Format(DS-3179C) (CAD)
- DXF Utility Construction Plan - Large Format (DS-3179C) (DXF)
Construction plans are only permitted for specific minor standard public improvements. See Information Bulletin 165 for more information.
- SDG&E Large Construction Plan (DS-3179D): This series of "Large Format" files have been formatted to D-Sheet (24- by 36-inch) size and are only intended to be used with those plans that require a larger plot area to best illustrate the existing and proposed improvements at a corresponding optimal scale and orientation. Unlike the process for standard size construction plans, prior to permit issuance, a print package of the approved plan is required for plans to be routed to the field for inspection.
Specific instructions for the preparation of Grading and Improvement Plans are provided within the links labeled "Grading Sheet Format" and "Improvement Sheet Format", respectively (double-click on the "?" within the blue circles for information). It is highly recommended that these resources be examined in their entirety as they will eliminate the need for reviewers to comment on many non-engineering elements during plan review, which results in unnecessary delays in approval.
All D-Sheet drawings must be prepared by a professional with current State of California registration in the professional field necessary for the permit.
Some improvements may not require D-Sheet plans prepared by a registered professional and can be made on a Construction Plan (see above). Construction plans are only permitted for specific minor standard public improvements. See Information Bulletin 165 for more information.
- Boring and Technical Plan for Geological Reconnaissance
- Grading Permit-D-Sheet: Use this format to prepare D-Sheet grading plans.
The files below have been saved in AutoCAD-Release 13 and utilize the "xref" utility for ease of title block revisions. The data within the DWG zip file must be copied to a common folder for the ref utility for the border to function properly.
- Right-of-Way Permit-D-Sheet: Use this format to prepare improvement plans on D-sized sheets.
The files below utilize the "xref" utility for ease of title block revisions. The files within the DWG zip file must be copied to a common folder for the ref utility for the border to function properly.
- Telecommunication Projects, use the files below:
NOTE: Grading and Improvement Plan Format Sheets and Templates have been prepared as part of a continuing effort to enhance the timely completion of the review and permit process for grading and public improvements. The intent is to guide an applicant or their representative through plan preparation for grading and public improvement drawings so that review costs are limited to the resolution of engineering-related issues.
A construction cost estimate is required for Grading and/or Right-of-Way Permits. Bonding and permitting fees are required according to the City of San Diego Municipal Code Chapter 12, Article 9, Division 01, Section 9 (§129.0119) and are based upon earthwork and improvement totals and the most current Unit Price List.
The "BOND EST" sheet of the spreadsheet calculates the inspection fees based on Information Bulletin DS-502.
Estimates prepared with D-Sheet grading and/or improvement plans must be prepared by a Civil Engineer (or Landscape Architect for landscape-only D-Sheet plans) with current registration in the State of California. A registered professional does not require an estimate prepared in conjunction with a construction plan (Form DS3179/3179B/3179C) unless a registered professional prepared the construction plan.
- Unit Price List: The current Unit Price List is to be used to prepare cost estimates to determine bonding costs. Permitting and inspection fees for grading and improvement projects at permit issuance. The spreadsheet below contains current unit prices and is provided for the industry's use.
- 2009 Unit Price List (PDF)
- Construction Cost Estimate Template (2009): This spreadsheet has been prepared as part of a continuing effort to enhance the timely completion of review and permit processes for grading and public improvements. The intent is to provide a tool to foster consistency, minimize the duplication of effort by the industry, and standardize the policy for preparing and reviewing cost estimates. Prior to using this spreadsheet, please read the Report Instructions so that review comments and associated costs to the customer are kept to a minimum.
Please use the following plan template cover sheets when submitting for the following types of building permits. Using City-Standard templates can speed up the review process by providing all of the required, necessary information at the first submittal.
Use the following plan template when submitting for Wireless Communication Facilities that require building permit approvals, including Spectrum Act. Using City-Standard templates is required to speed up the review and approval process.
Use the following plan template when applying for Small Cell Wireless Communication Facilities (SC-WCF) to be mounted on various pole standards in the City public right of way. The Master Plan streamlines all SC-WCF reviews by consolidating various light and signalized pole designs associated with carriers/providers with the applicable Master Plans for each Master Use and Occupancy Agreement.
- Master Structural Plan for Small Cell Telecom Template (DWG)
- Master Structural Plan for Small Cell Telecom Template (PDF)