Pilot Project Prioritization Tiers
The Life Science Industry Pilot Program is a new program that is constantly improving and expanding. Participation in the pilot program is limited to ensure that each project within the Pilot Program is successful. To help control the number of projects within the program, the following list of prioritization tiers and responsibilities will help all qualified projects receive available resources based on project scope and tier level.
- Tier 1: Tenant improvements for identified life science industry businesses. For select scopes of work, a Development Project Manager and a dedicated plan review team will be assigned.
- Tier 2: New buildings for an identified life science industry business. A Development Project Manager will be assigned.
- Tier 3: Speculative tenant improvements without an identified life science industry business. Development Project Managers will be available to troubleshoot issues.
- Tier 4: Speculative new buildings without an identified life science industry business. Development Project Managers will be available to troubleshoot issues.
- Promise Zone: Projects within the San Diego Promise Zone will be eligible for the level of assistance provided to a project located in the immediately higher tier.
Eligible Life Science Industry Business Types
Verify using the chart below if your project (buy business type) is eligible for entry into this program.
||City Land Use Category
||Building Code Occupancy Classification
|Industrial Gas Manufacturing
||Very Heavy Industrial Use
||F-1 or H
|Nitrogenous Fertilizer Manufacturing
||F-1 or H
In-Vitro Diagnostic Substance
Analytical Laboratory Instrument
Surgical and Medical Instruments
Surgical Appliances and Supplies
Dental Equipment and Supplies
||F-1 or H
|Merchant Wholesalers of Medical, Dental, Hospital Equipment and Supplies
Distribution and Storage Use
|B, F-1 or H
|Industrial Testing Laboratories
||B, F-1 or H
|Scientific and Technical Consulting Services
||Office Use – Business and Professional Office
|Research and Development in Nanotechnology, Biotechnology, Physical, Engineering and Life Sciences
||Research and Development
||B or H
||Medical, Dental and Health Practitioner
Verify Zoning for the Project
- Check the zoning information for the parcel.
- Verify if you need a preliminary review.
- Make a virtual appointment to address any questions before submitting an application for a permit.
The City's Economic Development Department can assist businesses/developers with projects that don't qualify for the Life Science Industry Pilot Project; Inquiries can be directed to email@example.com.
Plan review, development impact fees, water and sewer, school and inspection fees vary based on the type of project. Please review Information Bulletin 501 for more information.
Inspections are required for all building construction projects and occur during different phases. Please review Information Bulletin 120 for more information.
Compliant Outdoor Expansion