Construction Change to Building Permit & Deferred Submittals
Apply to submit changes to approved Building, Combination, Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical and Sign permits and for deferred submittals. For projects that were issued originally in a paper version, a scanned set of the approved drawings will be required to be uploaded for the reviewers.
Learn more about:
What You Should Know
- City of San Diego approved plans and speciﬁcations shall not be changed, modiﬁed, or altered without authorization from the City.
- All changes, modiﬁcations or alterations to approved plans and speciﬁcations during construction must be reviewed and approved by the City prior to being incorporated into the construction documents.
- Based upon the complexity, scope and number of proposed construction changes, a Development Project Manager may be assigned to oversee the process.
- Learn about construction changes, change of records and if historical reviews will be required.
- Changes to approved plans (after permit issuance) must be reviewed. A non-refundable plan check fee must be paid at the hourly rate at the time of issuance of the construction change. To calculate the hourly rate, review Information Bulletin 501. Learn how to Process changes to Approved Plans.
Read the requirements for PDF file uploads.
Prepare the following for your application submittal:
- Your proposed building construction plan change as described in Information Bulletin 118 - Construction Changes to Approved Plans.
- Form DS-342 Change of Building Permit Record is required when there is a change of the property owner, contractor, permit holder or the licensed design professional (architect/engineer) of record for a Building, Combination, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Fire Sprinkler or Fire Alarm Permit. Learn more about Change of Record.
- Project Contacts Information (DS-345)
You will be required to upload the completed PDF documents from Step 3.
- Information Bulletin 118 - Construction Changes
- Information Bulletin 188 - Deferred Submittals
- Information Bulletin 250 – How to Apply for a Change of Record
- Information Bulletin 501 – Fee Schedule for Construction Permits – Structures
- Information Bulletin 581 – Designated Historical Resource Review