Community Profiles Uptown
- Uptown Community Profile Home
- Planners Agendas and Minutes
- Current Uptown Community Plan
- Community Contact Information
- Parks & Other Community Services
Proposed Uptown Community Plan Amendments
On November 14, 2016, the City Council approved the update to the 1988 Uptown Community Plan and recommended the following additional items as part of the plan’s adoption:
- Restore the proposed residential density associated with the St. Paul’s Seniors site in the Bankers Hill/Park West neighborhood.
- Address a zoning and land use inconsistency that would allow the community plan land use density match the higher density allowed in the former Planned District zone within the Hillcrest neighborhood.
- Establish a Community Plan Implementation Overlay Zone (CPIOZ) for the largely residential areas within the areas of the former MR-1500 zone in the University Heights neighborhood that would "trigger" discretionary review for development exceeding 30 feet in height. Ministerial review would be allowed for development that is 30 feet in height and below.
The proposed Uptown Community Plan Amendments were approved on consent at the Smart Growth and Land Use Committee on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 and is currently scheduled for City Council on June 12, 2018.
On Thursday, March 15, 2018 the Planning Commission voted 5-0-0 to recommend approval of the proposed Uptown Community Plan Amendments to the City Council. The Planning Commission staff report and presentation can be viewed here:
The Uptown Community Plan
The City's community plans are long range planning documents established as essential components of the General Plan. The community plan update process will develop the community-specific detail, relevant policies, and implementation strategies necessary to fulfill General Plan objectives. The General Plan sets out a long-range vision and policy framework to guide future development, provide public services, and maintain the qualities that define San Diego over the next 20+ years. The General Plan also has a focus on how to design infill development and reinvest in existing communities.
The update to the 1988 Uptown Community Plan was adopted by City Council on November 14, 2016 and provides detailed policy direction to implemenet the General Plan with respect to the distribution and arrangement of land uses, the local street and transit network, the prioritization of public facilities, community and site specific urban design guidelines, and recommendations to preserve and enhance natural open space and historic and cultural resources with the Uptown Community.
The Uptown Community Plan and associated zoning went into effect on Monday, February 6, 2017. Please see Chapter 13 of the City of San Diego Municipal Code for more details regarding the Citywide zones that implement the Community Plan. Development projects deemed completed prior to this effective date can continue to be processed under the 1988 Uptown Community Plan, Mid-City Communities Planned District, and the West Lewis Street Planned District. Please scroll further down the webpage for links to these documents.
- Uptown Community Plan (Full Version)
- Land Use
- Urban Design
- Economic Prosperity
- Public Facilities, Services, and Safety Element
- Noise Element
- Historic Preservation
- Appendix A: Park and Recreation Needs Assessment Survey
- Appendix B: Natural Resource Mapping/MHPA Boundary Line Correction
- Appendix C: Uptown Archaelogical Study
- Appendix D: Uptown Historic Survey Report
Final Program Environmental Impact Report
Uptown Impact Fee Study
1988 Uptown Community Plan, Mid-City Communities Plan, and West Lewis Street Planned District
Development applications deemed complete prior to the effective date of the 2016 Uptown Community Plan and zoning can continue to be processed under the 1988 Uptown Community Plan, Mid-City Communities Planned District, and West Lewis Street Planned District:
- 1988 Uptown Community Plan
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 01 Mid-City Communities -General Rules
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Permits and Procedures
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Zoning
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -General and Supplemental Regulations
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Figure 1
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Figure 2
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Figure 3
- Ch. 15 Art 12 Division 02 Mid-City Communities -Figure 4
- Ch. 15 Art 20 Division 01 West Lewis Street -General Rules
- Ch. 15 Art 20 Division 02 West Lewis Street -Permits and Procedures
- Ch. 15 Art 20 Division 03 West Lewis Street -Zones
- Ch. 15 Art 20 Division 04 West Lewis Street -General and Supplemental Regulations