Mobility Evaluation Tool
A Tool to Encourage Sustainable Development
Ensuring that new projects built in our communities are designed to provide mobility choices and support alternative modes of transportation will help to reduce the number of miles we drive. At the same time, building projects that are walkable, bikeable, and close to transit will create vibrant and healthy neighborhoods. To help developers achieve this, the City has developed a Mobility Evaluation Tool to help them design projects that comply with the Complete Communities: Mobility Choices regulations and implement measures to reduce vehicle miles traveled (VMT), which will help achieve the goals of the Climate Action Plan.
The Mobility Evaluation Tool provides developers with a simple way to:
- Track their project’s compliance with the Complete Communities: Mobility Choices Regulations
- Calculate their project’s potential VMT reductions achieved by implementing travel demand management measures such as reducing parking supply, providing transit subsidies, or implementing carpooling programs.
The Mobility Evaluation Tool provides important information to assist developers to build projects that reduce their environmental impacts and enhance the quality of life for all residents.
- MET Overview Video
- Virtual public information session, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Feb. 15, 2023.
Mobility Evaluation Tool
The MET was developed with a Caltrans Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant and is a web-based tool that will assist development project applicants with their California Environment Quality Act transportation analysis and/or Complete Communities: Mobility Choices regulations compliance. The MET will produce a report that can be submitted during the development project review process. Please note the tool requires an internet connection to use and it is highly recommended to use a desktop computer. The tool must be used with Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browsers to ensure proper functionality.
MET Education & Training Resources
The following resources are available to help understand how to use the Mobility Evaluation Tool. The training materials will provide you with information so that you know:
- What the Mobility Evaluation Tool is and how each module works
- How to use the tool to analyze a project’s VMT reduction(s)
- How to use the tool to track Mobility Choices: VMT Reduction Measure points
- What information is included in the output and what needs to be submitted to the City
- How to use the Mobility Evaluation Tool
- MET Fact Sheet
- MET Quick Start Guide
- MET User Guide
- City of San Diego Transportation Study Manual (2022)
- Mobility Choices Regulations: Implementation Guidelines
- Complete Communities Webpage
- CAPCOA Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Handbook (2021)
For questions and/or additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.