Plan Cover Sheet Formats and Templates
- Design Guidelines & Templates
- LDR-Grading and Improvement Templates and Format/Instructions
- Construction Plans for Minor Improvements
- D-Sheet Grading and Improvement Plans
- Construction Cost Estimate and Bond Template
The City's Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (The "WHITEBOOK") is one of several manuals referenced in the Grading and Right-Of-Way Plan templates. The City's supplements included in the "WHITEBOOK" address the unique conditions in the City of San Diego that are not addressed in the "GREENBOOK". While they are primarily used for public works construction, any project which is proposing new public facilities, including but not limited to streets, sidewalk, curb and gutter, pedestrian ramps and storm drain, or improving existing public facilities is required to adhere to these construction specifications.
The City's Standard Drawings is another manual referenced in the Grading and Right-Of-Way Plan templates. These drawings provide details for construction and may be referenced on each type of construction plan in lieu of providing the detail on the plan. These drawings shall be used in conjunction with the latest City adopted editions of the Standard Specifications for Public works Construction (The "GREENBOOK") and the accompanying City Supplement included in the City's Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction (The "WHITEBOOK")
Use these standard plan sheet templates for submitting plans for the project type listed. They include the standard language needed for submitted construction documents.
The purpose of these templates and format/instructions is not to replace the Project Submittal Requirements contained in the City's Land Development Manual.
These plan sheet templates are provided in three formats: AutoCAD for customers with this software, Portable Document Format (PDF) for viewing using Adobe Acrobat Reader, or DXF/ASCII text.
A Drawing Interchange File (DXF) is a standard ASCII text file with a file extension of .DXF and specially formatted text. They are easily translated to CAD system formats or are submitted to other programs for processing directly.
These templates and format/instructions for grading and improvement plans pertain primarily to the Land Development Review (LDR) disciplines for projects submitted to secure an engineering permit.
Correct use of these templates can reduce the number of plan corrections returned by the Development Services Department. Altering the cover sheets -- other than adding information where specified -- may result in corrections being required before the plans can be approved.
- Right of Way Permit-Construction Plan (DS-3179): Construction Plan-sheets 1 & X of Y include text fields which are required to be completed. Use these construction plans if associated with permit applications to construct minor standard improvements within the public Right-of-Way or to construct minor standard improvements within easements that have previously been dedicated to the public.
The DWG and DXF Construction Plan CAD files have been provided as a convenience to individuals with the associated software. These templates are NOT TO BE MODIFIED FROM ORIGINAL LAYOUT AND CONTENT.
- Right of Way Permit-Construction Plan-Large Format (DS-3179C) This second series of "Large Format" files have been formatted to C-Sheet (18" x 24") size and are only intended to be used with those plans that require a larger plot area to best illustrate the existing and proposed improvements at a corresponding optimal scale and orientation. Unlike the process for standard size construction plans, prior to permit issuance, a print package of the approved plan is required for plans to be routed to the field for inspection.
Construction plans are only permitted for certain minor standard public improvements. See Information Bulletin 165 for more information.
Specific instructions for the preparation of Grading and Improvement Plans are provided within the links labeled "Grading Sheet Format" and "Improvement Sheet Format", respectively (double-click on the "?" within the blue circles for information). It is highly recommended that these resources be examined in their entirety as they will eliminate the need for reviewers to comment on many non-engineering elements during plan review, which results in unnecessary delays in approval.
All D-Sheet drawings must be prepared by a professional with current State of California registration in the professional field necessary for the permit.
Some improvements may not require D-Sheet plans prepared by a registered professional and can be prepared on a Construction Plan (see above). Construction plans are only permitted for certain minor standard public improvements. See Information Bulletin 165 for more information.
- Grading Permit-D-Sheet: Use this format in preparation of D-Sheet grading plans.
The files below have been saved in AutoCAD-Release 13 and utilize the "xref" utility for ease of title block revisions. The files within the DWG zip file must be copied to a common folder for the ref utility for the border to function properly.
- Right-of-Way Permit-D-Sheet: Use this format in preparation of improvement plans on D sized sheets.
The files below utilize the "xref" utility for ease of title block revisions. The files within the DWG zip file must be copied to a common folder for the ref utility for the border to function properly.
- For Telecommunication Projects, use the files below:
NOTE: Grading and Improvement Plan Format Sheets and Templates have been prepared as part of a continuing effort to enhance the timely completion of the review and permit process for grading and public improvements. The intent is to guide an applicant or their representative through plan preparation for grading and public improvement drawings so that review costs are limited to resolution of engineering related issues and not required format.
The intended user should understand that this information is not static and that future revisions, clarifications and or additions are to be anticipated.
A construction cost estimate is required for Grading and/or Right-of-Way Permits. Bonding and permitting fees are required according to the City of San Diego Municipal Code Chapter 12, Article 9, Division 01, Section 9 (§129.0119) and are based upon earthwork and improvement totals and the most current Unit Price List.
The "BOND EST" sheet of the spreadsheet calculates the inspection fees based upon Information Bulletin DS-502.
Estimates prepared in conjunction with D-Sheet grading and/or improvement plans must be prepared by a Civil Engineer (or Landscape Architect for landscape-only D-Sheet plans) with current registration in the State of California. An estimate prepared in conjunction with a construction plan (Form DS3179/3179B/3179C) is not required to be prepared by a registered professional, unless a registered professional prepared the construction plan.
- Unit Price List: The current Unit Price List is to be used in the preparation of cost estimates for the determination of bonding costs. Permitting and inspection fees for grading and improvement projects, at permit issuance. The spreadsheet below contains current unit prices and is provided as is for the industry's use.
- Construction Cost Estimate Template (2009): This spreadsheet has been prepared as part of a continuing effort to enhance the timely completion of review and permit processes for grading and public improvements. The intent is to provide a tool to foster consistency, minimize the duplication of effort by the industry, and standardize the policy for preparation and review of cost estimates. Prior to using this spreadsheet please read the Report Instructions so that review comments and associated costs to the customer are kept to a minimum.
The intended user should understand that this resource is not static and that future revisions, corrections, clarifications and or additions are to be anticipated. This spreadsheet has been reviewed for logical, functional and calculation errors; however no warranty, express or implied, is given.