SWIM TEST POLICY & REQUIREMENTS FOR 2023
Please see below for new information regarding our swim test requirements:
- ALL STUDENTS (NEW AND RETURNING) ARE REQUIRED TO PASS THE SWIM TEST. Returning A Group students (those that participated in the A Group in 2022) are exempt from this requirement and do not need to attend/pass the swim test.
- STUDENTS MUST ATTEND ONE OF THE SWIM TEST DATES ASSIGNED BY SESSION. Please do not sign up for a session if your child cannot attend one of the designated swim test dates. See below for the list of scheduled swim test dates. Registered students who do not attend one of their session's assigned swim tests will be removed from the program and their spot given to someone who is on the waitlist.
- STUDENTS MAY ONLY ATTEND THEIR ASSIGNED SESSION SWIM TEST DATES. Students may attend any of the test dates assigned to their session (they may attend more than one test date if needed). If a student is unable to pass the swim test after their session test dates have concluded, a full refund will be processed (minus the non-refundable Activenet transaction fee). We strongly recommend parents do not register their child for the program unless they can confidently pass the swim test.
- PROOF OF AGE WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL REGISTERED STUDENTS. Proof of age will be required for all registered students during the check-in process at the swim tests. Official documentation is required (birth certificate, passport, etc).
- SWIM TESTS ARE FOR REGISTERED STUDENTS ONLY. Waitlisted students will be notified of a make-up swim test date if a spot becomes available.
Based on our swim test requirements, we strongly encourage regular swim workouts or swim lessons to prepare your child. Parents should evaluate their child's swimming ability prior to the start of online registration. We highly recommend parents sign up their child for one of our sessions only if they can confidently pass the required swim test for their age group. Please note the swim test will be administered in a 25-yard pool.
Swim Test Requirements
All students (new and returning) must pass the swim test in order to participate in the San Diego Junior Lifeguard Program.
All Junior Lifeguards must meet the following swimming requirements. Please note the times for the B and C Group students have been lowered from previous years.
||7 - 8
||1 minute 30 seconds
||9 - 11
||2 minutes 15 seconds
||12 - 13
||14 - 17
||1 minute 45 seconds
2023 Swim Test Dates
**Please note you do not need to sign up for a swim test date or time. Students will be tested on a first come, first serve basis. We do expect a high number of families to attend each tryout date so please be prepared to wait in line for your child's turn to swim. Please arrive no later than 15 minutes before the end time.
Session 1 & Grommets Swim Test Dates (updated 2/23/23):
Saturday, April 8 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Allied Gardens Pool, 6707 Glenroy St, San Diego 92120
Saturday, April 15 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Allied Gardens Pool, 6707 Glenroy St, San Diego 92120
Sunday, April 16 - 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Allied Gardens Pool, 6707 Glenroy St, San Diego 92120
Session 2 & Grommets Swim Test Dates:
Saturday, May 6 - Location & Time TBA
Sunday, May 7 - Location & Time TBA
Saturday, May 13 - Location & Time TBA
Additional Grommets Swim Test Date:
Sunday, June 11 - Location & Time TBA
**LOCATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON POOL AVAILABILITY. PLEASE CHECK THIS WEBSITE PAGE FOR POSSIBLE UPDATES OR LOCATION CHANGES PRIOR TO ATTENDING.
For other questions or concerns regarding the swim requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.