During the 2020 Junior Lifeguard Program registration process, you will select your desired Session (1 or 2) and class (AM or PM) according to the following four choices:
- Session 1 (AM), Monday, June 15 thru Friday, July 10, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Session 1 (PM), Monday, June 15 thru Friday, July 10, 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Session 2 (AM), Monday, July 20 thru Friday, Aug. 14, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Session 2 (PM), Monday, July 20 thru Friday, Aug. 14, 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
NOTE: Due to high demand, students may not register for more than one session during the summer.
The Program runs Monday through Friday. Throughout the program, we will visit several locations to become aware of the opportunities and hazards that exist along San Diego's coast.
On the first day of each session, all Junior Guards will participate in an assessment that is a combination of running and swimming. Each age group will have their own age-appropriate run/swim course and will be separated into smaller groups for the assessment.
Safety is the most important priority for our program. We use the assessment to place students in groups of similar ability. For this reason, we are unable to honor group requests during the session. If you have any questions about group placement or the assessment, please email [email protected].
What to Bring to Every Class
- Backpack for all your child's equipment
- Uniforms items, such as a rash guard, surf hat, or sweatshirt (review our uniform policy for details)
- Ocean swim fins (we recommend Duck Feet or Da Fin)
- Sunscreen (apply it before coming to class)
- Sandals/flip flops
- Pen or pencil
- Water bottle and snack
- Junior Lifeguard Manual (given to students the second day of class)
Important Details to Remember
- Please label all equipment and uniforms with your child's name.
- Please do not come to class with expensive personal property. The Junior Lifeguard staff is not responsible for any lost items.
- Personal wetsuits may ONLY be worn with a JG rash guard over it.
- ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONES allowed during class times. Before or after class is OK.