During the 2023 Junior Lifeguard Program registration process, you will select your desired Session (1 or 2) and class (AM or PM) according to the following four choices:
- Session 1 (AM), Monday, June 19 thru Friday, July 14, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Session 1 (PM), Monday, June 19 thru Friday, July 14, 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Session 2 (AM), Monday, July 17 thru Friday, August 11, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Session 2 (PM), Monday, July 17 thru Friday, August 11, 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
NOTE: Due to high demand, students may not register for more than one session during the summer. If a student is registered for more than one session it will be up to the discretion of program management which session the student can attend. Please do not register your child for a session they cannot fully attend.
The Program runs Monday through Friday. Throughout the program, we will visit several locations to become aware of the opportunities and hazards that exist along San Diego's coast.
The first day of each session is Assessment Day. All Junior Guards will participate in an assessment that is a combination of running and swimming. Each age group will have their own age-appropriate run/swim course. Communication will be sent out to all families regarding Assessment Day and the designated times for students to check in (alpha sorted). For questions regarding assessments, please email email@example.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Safety is the most important priority for our program. We use the assessment to place students in groups of similar ability. For this reason, we are unable to honor group requests during the session. If you have any questions about group placement or the assessment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to Bring to Every Class
- Backpack for all your child's equipment
- Uniforms items, such as a rash guard, surf hat, or sweatshirt (review our uniform policy for details)
- Ocean swim fins (we recommend Duck Feet or Da Fin)
- Sunscreen (apply it before coming to class)
- Sandals/flip flops
- Pen or pencil
- Water bottle and snack
- Junior Lifeguard Manual (given to students at check-in on Assessment Day)
Important Details to Remember
- Please label all equipment and uniforms with your child's name.
- Please do not come to class with expensive personal property. The Junior Lifeguard staff is not responsible for any lost items.
- Personal wetsuits may ONLY be worn with a JG rash guard over it.
- ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONES allowed during class times. Before or after class is OK.