Located on the Second Floor of Central Library
The Pauline Foster Teen Center's beach-theme welcomes teens to relax, hang out, and enjoy the wide range of programs offered by Teen Center staff. The 3,800-square-foot area includes two study rooms, a game room, 14 computers and a snack area.
In addition to tables and desks, there is also modular seating that can be moved around. Though this fun area may tempt visitors of all ages, only those 12 to 18 years old are allowed.
The Gray White Family Teen Reference Desk is located here for the exclusive use of teens and their needs.
Two Study Rooms offer plugs in the floor for HDMI cables that run straight to the flat-screen monitors provided in each room.
The Game Room houses two 60-inch flat-screens, a Sony PlayStation 3, a Nintendo Wii U, a Sony Playstation 4, a Nintendo Switch and approximately 50 games between the four video game systems. The Game Room is open and available for use during select hours throughout the week.
Other technology in the Teen Center includes:
- a collaboration table which allows students to collaborate on projects or video games;
- TAP-it interactive learning station (ADA compliant); and
- a variety of chargers and adapters available for use in the Teen Center
Besides this technology, the Teen Center also offers a variety of board games, hundreds of books, and a selection of magazines available for browsing.
The Teen Center also offers a plethora of programming, including:
- Anime Club
- DIY Crafts
- Dungeons & Dragons
- Food Science
- and many more
Tours and Presentations
The Teen's Tour is appropriate for youths between the ages of 12-18 (6th grade to 12th grade), visiting the library as a group or class. Depending on your interest and the amount of time you would like to spend with us, your visit may include:
- a building tour led by specially trained Docents or staff;
- highlights of special spaces in the library that specifically interest teens;
- space for your group to have lunch in the library Courtyard.
Click here to schedule your Teen Tour
Teen Center staff also offer presentations at the Central Library or at your school! You can choose up to two presentations for your visit. If you'd like a presentation during your tour, please indicate that when making your tour reservation. If you'd like staff to present at your school, please email your request to Steve Roman at SRoman@sandiego.gov.
- Overview of San Diego Public Library (30 minutes): Students will learn about system-wide resources, programs and services;
- Introduction to the Library Catalog (45 minutes): Students will learn how to navigate the online catalog, filter searches and request holds;
- Introduction to Articles and Databases (45 minutes): Students will learn how to access and use online databases on a variety of subjects; or
- Introduction to Credible Resources (30 minutes): Students will learn how to determine the credibility, accuracy, reliability, relevance and timeliness of sources.
*Also called Pauline Foster Teen Center in Memory of Stanley