Pauline Foster Teen Center
Located on the Second Floor of Central Library
The Pauline Foster Teen Center's beach-theme welcomes teens to relax, hang out, and enjoy the wide range of programs offered by Teen Center staff. The 3,800-square-foot area includes two study rooms, a game room, and 14 computers.
In addition to tables and desks, there is also modular seating that can be moved around. Though this fun area may tempt visitors of all ages, only those 12 to 18 years old are allowed.
The Gray White Family Teen Reference Desk is located here for the exclusive use of teens and their needs.
Two Study Rooms offer plugs in the floor for HDMI cables that run straight to the flat-screen monitors provided in each room.
The Game Room houses two 60-inch flat-screens, a Sony PlayStation 3, a Nintendo Wii U, a Sony Playstation 4, a Nintendo Switch and approximately 50 games between the four video game systems. The Game Room is open and available for use during select hours throughout the week.
Other technology in the Teen Center includes:
- a collaboration table which allows students to collaborate on projects or video games; and
- TAP-it interactive learning station (ADA compliant)
Besides this technology, the Teen Center also offers a variety of board games, hundreds of books, and a selection of magazines available for browsing.
As the new school year starts, the Teen Center is working on updating our regular programming! Please see our events page for more information!
Tours and Presentations
The Teen's Tour is appropriate for youths between the ages of 12-18 (6th grade to 12th grade), visiting the library as a group or class. Depending on your interest and the amount of time you would like to spend with us, your visit may include:
- a building tour led by specially trained Docents or staff;
- highlights of special spaces in the library that specifically interest teens;
- space for your group to have lunch in the library Courtyard.
Teen Center staff also offer presentations at the Central Library or at your school! You can choose up to two presentations for your visit. If you'd like a presentation during your tour, please indicate that when making your tour reservation. If you'd like staff to present at your school, please email your request to Teen Center staff at email@example.com.
- Overview of San Diego Public Library (30 minutes): Students will learn about system-wide resources, programs and services;
- Introduction to the Library Catalog (45 minutes): Students will learn how to navigate the online catalog, filter searches and request holds;
- Introduction to Articles and Databases (45 minutes): Students will learn how to access and use online databases on a variety of subjects; or
- Introduction to Credible Resources (30 minutes): Students will learn how to determine the credibility, accuracy, reliability, relevance and timeliness of sources.
*Also called Pauline Foster Teen Center in Memory of Stanley