Pauline Foster Teen Center
Located on the Second Floor of Central Library
The Pauline Foster Teen Center's beach-theme welcomes teens to relax and hang out. The 3,800-square-foot area includes two study rooms, a game room, 14 computers and a snack area.
In addition to tables and desks, there are also beanbag chairs and other modular seating that can be moved around. Though this fun area may tempt visitors of all ages, only those 12 to 18 years old are allowed.
The Gray White Family Teen Reference Desk is located here for the exclusive use of teens and their needs.
Two Study Rooms offer plugs in the floor for HDMI cables that run straight to the flat-screen monitors provided in each room.
The Game Room houses two 60-inch flat-screens, a Sony PlayStation 3, a Nintendo Wii U and approximately 50 games between the two video game systems.
Other technology in the Teen Center includes:
- TAP-it interactive learning station (ADA compliant);
- touch-screen coffee table; and
- a variety of chargers and adapters available for check out.
Besides high-tech devices, the Teen Center also offers a variety of board games, hundreds of books, and a selection of magazines available for browsing.
Teen Center staff offers presentations at the Central Library or at your school! Please email your presentation request to Shampree Fritz at [email protected]. Topics include:
- Overview of San Diego Public Library (30 minutes): Students will learn about system-wide resources, programs and services;
- Introduction to the Library Catalog (45 minutes): Students will learn how to navigate the online catalog, filter searches and request holds;
- Introduction to Articles and Databases (45 minutes): Students will learn how to access and use online databases on a variety of subjects; or
- Introduction to Credible Resources (30 minutes): Students will learn how to determine the credibility, accuracy, reliability, relevance and timeliness of sources.
*Also called Pauline Foster Teen Center in Memory of Stanley