Since 1945, the Library has been a selective depository designated by the State of California for California. Notable items include legislative hearing transcripts, statistical reports, geological reports, and reports by state agencies and commissions.
Government publications are housed at the Central Library on the 3rd
floor. You can search for documents in the collection using the library’s online catalog
, and when available, a link will be provided if the document is online.
If you’re looking for general government information and don’t know where to start, there are many helpful resources on USA.gov in English
U.S. Government Resources
- Assistance Listings - Provides detailed, public descriptions of Federal assistance listings available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); Federally recognized Indian tribal governments, Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi- public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups, and individuals.(For even more information about benefits from the U.S. Government, see the Partners listing.)
- Ben’s Guide to the U.S. Government - Presents educational content for the public on the workings of the U.S. Government and U.S. history, with a focus on civics.
- Budget of the United States Government - Contains the budget message of the President, information about the President’s budget proposals for a given fiscal year, and other budgetary publications issued throughout the fiscal year.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications - A finding tool for publications from all three branches of the U.S. government. Updated daily, it contains descriptive records for current and historical publications and provides direct links to those online.
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) - The annual edition of the general and permanent rules published in the Federal Register by departments and agencies of the Federal Government.
- Compilation of Presidential Documents - The official publications of materials released by the White House Press Secretary. Materials include proclamations, executive orders, speeches, statements regarding bill signings and vetoes, nominations and appointments, acts approved by the President, and press releases.
- Congress.gov - Provides information about legislative activities, publications, and other related materials for members of Congress and the public.
- Congressional Record - The official record of the proceedings and debates of the United States Congress, published daily when Congress is in session.
- The Constitution of the United States of America: Analysis and Interpretation - Also known as the Constitution Annotated, includes the U.S. Constitution and analysis and interpretation, with in-text annotations of cases decided by the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Economic Indicators - Published monthly by the Council of Economic Advisors for the Joint Economic Committee, provides economic information on GDP, income, employment, production, business activity, prices, money, credit, security markets, Federal finance, and international statistics.
- The Economic Report of the President to the Congress - An annual report issued by the Executive Office of the President and the Council of Economic Advisors, providing on overview of economic progress, with extensive data appendices.
- Explore Census Data - A source for population, economic, housing, and geographic information and data about the United States, Puerto Rico, and the Island areas.
- Federal Register - The daily publication of the rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, along with executive orders.
- govinfo - A database providing authenticated access to official publications from all three branches of the U.S. Government.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) - A resource for occupational and career information, providing profiles on a majority of jobs in the United States. Profiles describe the work environment, education and training needed, a ten year outlook, and median pay for workers.
- Official Congressional Directory - Includes biographical and directory information about members of the House and Senate, committee memberships, terms of service, and related content.
- Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States - Official publication of the President’s addresses, writings, and remarks.
- Social Security Handbook - Resource for the most common questions about Social Security.
- United States Code - The codification by subject matter of the general and permanent laws of the United States, divided by broad subjects into 53 titles.
- The United States Government Manual - The official handbook of the U.S. Government, providing information on the agencies from all three branches, quasi-official agencies, international organizations in which the United States participates, boards, commissions, and committees.
- United States Reports - Contains the final version of the opinions of the Supreme Court of the United States.
- United States Statutes at Large - Contains the permanent laws enacted during each session of Congress.
- USA.gov - A subject-based portal to Federal services and resources online. A Spanish site is also available.
Federal Depositories in San Diego