The Patent & Trademark Resource Center
The San Diego Public Library (SDPL) is an officially designated Patent and Trademark Resource Center that is part of a nationwide library network maintained by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Patent searching is an often time-consuming and complicated process that may require the assistance of a patent attorney or patent agent. As such, the SDPL staff members are not able to conduct patent searches for you and cannot provide legal advice. The library’s staff can, however, assist you in finding reference materials that allow you to conduct your own research.
What is a patent?
How to Get Started
- 7 Step US Patent Search Strategy Guide
- How to Conduct a Preliminary U.S. Patent Search: a Step by Step Strategy (Tutorial Video)
PubEAST at SDPL
- United States Patent & Trademark Office - Learn about the patent application process. Search for patents and published patent applications. File your own patent application.
- Conociendo sobre la Propiedad Intelectual - En el presente site podrá encontrar información relevante sobre todos los aspectos de la propiedad intelectual. Para mayor información u orientación, favor visitar o hacer cita en el Centro de Recursos de Patentes y Marcas de la Biblioteca General del Recinto Univresitario de Mayagüez de la Universidad de Puerto Rico.
- European Patent Office - The official website of the European Patent Office (EPO). Find information on applying and searching for patents, legal issues on patents, patent grants, rules and regulations about European and international patent applications.
- WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization - WIPO is responsible for the promotion of the protection of intellectual property throughout the world through co-operation among States and for the administration of various multilateral treaties dealing with the legal and administrative aspects of intellectual property.
- Japan Patent Office - Learn about intellectual property in Japan.
U.S. Patent Search Tools
- PatFT - Keyword search patents back to 1976, or search all patents by classification or patent number.
- AppFT - Search patent applications published since 2001.
- PAIR - Patent Application Information Retrieval - Get information about a patent application's status.
- Patent Assignment Search - Search for Patent Assignment information beginning August 1980.
- Official Gazette for Patents - The Official Gazette for Patents allows you to see patents issued each week and is available online for the past year. You can browse by classification or type of patent.
Foreign Patent Search Tools
- Espacenet (EPO) - Search the European Patent Office database.
- Patentscope (WIPO) - Search for international patent documents.
- Industrial Property Digital Library (JPO) - Search Patent Abstracts of Japan.
- Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service - Search Korea's patent database.
What Is a Trademark or Servicemark?
How to Get Started
Videos about Trademarks
- Introduction to the USPTO and Trademark Basics
- Before You File
- Applicant Information
- Drawing Issues
- USPTO Trademarks - Start here for information about United States trademark searching and registration.
- California Trademarks - The State of California maintains its own trademark and service mark registry.
- International Trademark Association - Learn about trademark protection around the world.
- OHIM - Office for the Harmonization of the Internal Market (Trade Marks and Designs): The European Union agency responsible for registering trademarks and designs that are valid in all 27 countries of the EU.
- Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks - Learn about how to protect your mark in foreign countries.
Trademark Search Tools
- Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) - Search for registered trademarks and service marks in the United States.
- Design Search Code Manual - Find the codes needed to search for specific kinds of images in TESS.
- Trademark Status & Document Retrieval (TSDR) - Use this database to obtain information about pending and registered trademarks.
- Romarin - Search international trademarks.
- Official Gazette for Trademarks - The Official Gazette for Trademarks is issued each week. In addition to providing information about new marks, the Gazette lists cancelled and renewed registrations.
A trademark can be claimed with the letters TM written in superscript: TM
A service mark can be claimed with the letters SM written in superscript: SM
A trademark or service mark that has been registered with the USPTO is signified by the letter R with a circle around it: ®
What is Copyright?
- United States Copyright Office - The home page of the U.S. Copyright Office. Learn about copyright; search for registrations; download forms; register your work online.
- Copyright Refresher - An overview of copyright from the USPTO.
- World Intellectual Property Organization - Copyright and Related Rights - Learn about copyright in an international context.
Copyright Search Tools
- Copyright Catalog (1978 to present) - Search records of registered books, music, art, and periodicals, and other works. Includes copyright ownership documents.
For registrations prior to 1978, please contact the Central Library.