The City’s environmental review process is established by the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). The California Environmental Quality Act was enacted in 1970, and is similar to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
The City’s Municipal Code specifically assigns the responsibility for implementation of CEQA to the Planning Department and is charged with maintaining independence and objectivity in its review and analysis of the environmental consequences of development projects under its purview.
The CEQA & Policy Review Section reviews City (public) projects and other actions under CEQA for potential environmental impacts; prepares environmental documents; directs the work of outside environmental consultants; and works with public project applicants and stakeholders to ensure that all feasible environmental mitigation measures or project alternatives are incorporated to minimize or preclude adverse impacts to the environment. In addition, the CEQA and Policy Review section works with the Development Services Department to provide CEQA training to community planning groups.
City of San Diego California Environmental Quality Act Significance Determination Thresholds
Climate Action Plan Consistency Checklist
- Draft Documents for Public Comment - Notices and reports to concerned citizens or interested persons regarding decision of impact findings on the environment. Not all documents may be available for viewing online. Further, graphics, exhibits and attachments such as technical reports may not be available online.
- Final Documents - View final environmental documents prepared by the City of San Diego.
Notices of Rights to Appeal Environmental Determinations (NORA) - Notices of environmental determinations made by City staff (including the City Manager), the City Hearing Officer, and the City Planning Commission that may be appealed to the City Council in accordance with Section 112.0520 of the Municipal Code.
Public Notice of the Preparation of a PEIR and a Scoping Meeting
- December 4, 2020 (Citywide) Notice of Preparation of Draft PEIR for the Polystyrene Ordinance
- Jan 16, 2020 (Clairemont) Clairemont Community Plan Update/NOP
- June 5, 2019 (Citywide) Transit Priority Area Housing and Infrastructure Incentive Program / NOP
- Feb. 7, 2019 (Kearny Mesa) Montgomery Gibbs Executive Airport Master Plan / NOP
- Feb. 7, 2019 (Otay Mesa) Brown Field Municipal Airport Master Plan / NOP
- Nov. 9, 2018 (Kearny Mesa) Kearny Mesa Community Plan Update / NOP / Project No. 607857
- Oct. 15, 2018 (Citywide) Utilities Undergrounding Program / NOP
- June 11, 2018 De Anza Cove Amendment to the Mission Bay Park Master Plan / NOP
- July 28, 2017 Mission Valley Community Plan Update / NOP / Project No. 518009
- July 12, 2017 (Citywide) Waterways Master Plan / NOP / Project No. 548593
- July 5, 2017 Balboa Avenue Station Area Specific Plan / NOP/ 518016
- May 9, 2017 Mission Bay Park Master Plan Update - Fiesta Island Amendment / NOP
- Oct. 7, 2016 Morena Corridor Specific Plan / NOP
- Aug. 4, 2016 (University, Mira Mesa, Scripps Miramar Ranch, Clairemont Mesa, Linda Vista, Kearny Mesa, Tierrasanta, Navajo) Pure Water San Diego Program, North City Project EIR/EIS / Project No. 499612 / NOP EIR & Distribution List Public Review ends: 30 days from the date of Notice
- Dec. 2, 2015 University Community Plan Amendment / NOP
- Nov. 4, 2015 San Ysidro Community Plan Update and El Pueblito Viejo Village Specific Plan / NOP / 310690
- Nov. 4, 2015 Midway-Pacific Highway and Old Town San Diego Community Plan Updates / NOP / 453425