There are several convenient entrances to the Preserve. The east entrance, or staging area, is located at the intersection of Black Mountain and Mercy Roads. The western staging area is on the south side of Sorrento Valley Boulevard, approximately 1 mile east of Vista Sorrento Parkway. A convenient northern entrance is near Peñasquitos Creek Park at the intersection of Park Village Road and Camino Del Sur in Rancho Peñasquitos. In addition, the southern entrance is located at Camino Ruiz neighborhood park. A staging area for Lopez Canyon is located at the intersection of Pacific Mesa and Pacific Center Boulevards in Mira Mesa. Look for the information kiosks located at each of these entry points that designate the trail head and provide additional park information.
Rules and Regulations
- Bicycles are allowed only on designated trails, speed limit is 10 miles per hour as posted.
- Dogs must be contained on a maximum 8 foot leash at all times.
- All plants, animals, rocks, artifacts, and structures are protected. Do not remove, disturb, deface, or collect.
- Firearms, bows, slingshots, and air rifles are prohibited.
- Fires and fireworks of any kind are prohibited.
- Glass containers are prohibited.
- Littering and stream pollution are prohibited.
- Loud noise and amplified music are prohibited.
- Overnight Camping is prohibited.
- Parking lots are closed from sunset to 8 a.m.
- All recreational activities within the Preserve are day-use only.
Trails close during rain events and a minimum of 48 hours after due to flooding and unsafe conditions.
Open space areas are home to rattlesnakes, poison oaks, mountain lions, rugged terrain, and other hazards. Please be aware and have a safe visit to the Preserve. Bring water, sun protection, and wear good footwear.