City of San Diego residents may dispose of Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) by appointment only at the HHW Transfer Facility free of charge. Select the Make an Appointment Now tab below. Please bring proof of City residency, a picture identification, or a recent bill showing your name and address.
Location: Entrance of the Miramar Landfill (5161 Convoy Street, 92111, north of State Route 52)
Hours: Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., except holidays.
Bring all products used in the routine maintenance of your home, yard, or vehicle. These products are labeled with words such as “Danger”, “Warning”, “Caution”, “Poison”, “Flammable”, or “Corrosive”.
A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous household waste may be transported to the Household Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility (15 gallons refers to the actual contents of the container, not the container size.)
- Business Waste (contractors, landscapers, homeowner associations)
- Waste from non-profit organizations
- Treated wood
- Asbestos waste
- Containers larger than five (5) gallons in size.
- Compressed gas cylinders (other than propane cylinders & fire extinguishers)
- Explosives (ammunition, fireworks, marine flares)
- Lead paint waste
- PCB Capacitors and Transformers (Polychlorinated Biphenyls)
- Radioactive material
For assistance with the proper disposal of Unacceptable HHWs, enter your information on the HHW Transfer Facility Appointment screen and an Inspector will contact you within three (3) business days.
Safe Transport to the HHW Transfer Facility
- Transport up to five gallons or 50 pounds of waste at any time. Use your best judgment to estimate the amount of waste.
- Leave all products in their original sealed containers. Do not mix different products together.
- Leave mercury switches in the thermostat.
- Bring the waste in securely closed containers that will not leak.
- For passenger and driver safety, place wastes in the vehicle's trunk or truck bed. Do not transport in the passenger compartment.
- Secure the containers to prevent breakage or spills during transport.
- Place fuels (diesel, gasoline, contaminated oil) in a container that can be left behind (Fire-Rescue Department requirement).
- For safe unloading, keep wastes separate from other items such as trash or recyclable materials.
Make an Appointment Now
Call 858-694-7000 regarding:
- Loads larger than 50 pounds;
- Containers larger than five gallons;
- Leaky or open containers;
- Products you cannot identify;
- Special services for elderly or disabled residents without available transportation; and
- Resources for disposal of wastes are not accepted.
For Non-City of San Diego Residents