Household Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility
City of San Diego residents can dispose of their Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) at no charge at the City's HHW Transfer Facility.
Location: Entrance of the Miramar Landfill (Convoy Street, north of State Route 52)
Hours: Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., except holidays.
An appointment is required. Bring proof of City residency such as a picture identification or a recent bill showing your name/address.
Bring all products used in the routine maintenance of your home, yard or vehicle. These products are labeled with words such as “Danger”, “Warning”, “Caution”, “Poison”, “Flammable”, or “Corrosive”.
A maximum of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHWs may be transported to the HHWTF (15 gallons refers to the actual contents of the container, not the container size.)
NOT Accepted Waste
- Asbestos waste
- Containers larger than five (5) gallons in size.
- Compressed gas cylinders (other than propane cylinders)
- Explosives (ammunition, fireworks, marine flares)
- Lead paint waste
- PCB Capacitors and Transformers (Polychlorinated Bisphenols)
- Radioactive materials
- Electronics (e-waste)
For assistance with the proper disposal of Unacceptable HHWs, enter your information on the HHW Transfer Facility Appointment screen and a HHW Inspector will contact you within three (3) business days.
Safe Transport to the HHW Transfer Facility
- Transport up to five gallons or 50 pounds of waste at any time. Use your best judgement to estimate the amount of waste.
- Leave all products in their original sealed containers. Do not mix different products together.
- Leave mercury switches in the thermostat.
- Bring the waste in securely-closed containers that will not leak.
- For passenger and driver safety, place wastes in the vehicle's trunk or truck bed. Do not transport in passenger compartment.
- Secure the containers to prevent breakage or spills during transport.
- Place fuels (diesel, gasoline, contaminated oil) in a container that can be left behind (Fire-Rescue Department requirement).
- For safe unloading, keep wastes separate from other items such as trash or recyclable materials.
Call 858-694-7000 regarding:
- Loads larger than 50 pounds;
- Containers larger than five gallons;
- Leaky or open containers;
- Products you cannot identify;
- Special services for elderly or disabled residents without available transportation; and
- Resources for disposal of wastes not accepted.
For Non-City of San Diego Residents
- San Diego County residents living in unincorporated areas, please call 877-713-2784.
- Residents in other cities may contact their city's website or Earth 911
- List of Cities and Communities Outside of San Diego