The Household Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility is located at the entrance of the Miramar Landfill (Convoy Street, just north of state Route 52).
The facility accepts household hazardous waste on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., except holidays.
An appointment is required. It it open to City of San Diego residents only
Closed Dates for 2018
- March 31, 2018 (Easter Observed)
- July 7, 2018 (Independence Day Observed)
- November 24, 2018 (Thanksgiving Observed)
- December 22, 2018 (Christmas Observed)
- December 29, 2018 (New Year’s Day Observed)
How to make an appointment
City of San Diego residents:
- Call 858-694-7000, Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. with your list of household hazardous wastes.
- Bring proof of City residency such as a picture identification and a recent bill showing your address.
What household hazardous waste is accepted?
- Products used in the routine maintenance of homes, yards or vehicles.
- These products are labeled with words such as "danger," "warning," "caution," "poison," "flammable" or "corrosive."
- Universal waste including consumer batteries, light bulbs, light tubes, fluorescent light ballasts and mercury containing items.
- Incandescent bulbs can still be placed with your regular trash.
What household waste is NOT accepted:
- Asbestos waste, compressed gas cylinders, explosives (ammunition, fireworks, and flares), lead waste, radioactive material and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) capacitors and transformers.
- Call 858-694-7000 for assistance with disposal of these items
- Waste generated from a home business or a property management or abatement business. Waste from nonprofit and government agencies.
- Electronics - see Miramar Recycling Center or Electronics page.
Safe transport of household hazardous waste to the facility:
- Transport up to five gallons or 50 pounds of waste at any time. Use your best judgement to estimate the amount of waste.
- Leave all products in their original sealed containers. Do not mix different products together.
- Leave mercury switches in the thermostat.
- Bring the waste in securely-closed containers that will not leak.
- For passenger and driver safety, place wastes in the vehicle's trunk or truck bed. Do not transport in passenger compartment.
- Secure the containers to prevent breakage or spills during transport.
- Place fuels (diesel, gasoline, contaminated oil) in a container that can be left behind (Fire-Rescue Department requirement).
- For safe unloading, keep wastes separate from other items such as trash or recyclable materials.
Questions? Call 858-694-7000 regarding:
- Loads larger than 50 pounds;
- Containers larger than five gallons;
- Leaky or open containers;
- Products you cannot identify;
- Special services for elderly or disabled residents without available transportation; and
- Resources for disposal of wastes not accepted.
Household hazardous waste disposal for non-City of San Diego residents:
Remember, disposal of hazardous wastes to the sewer, storm drain, ground, or trash is illegal. For additional information, call the Miramar Recycling Center at 858-268-8971.