Recycling Used Oil And Oil Filters & Collection Events
An affordable and convenient way to dispose of used or leftover motor oil, as well as oil filters, antifreeze and auto batteries, is to take them to a used oil and oil filter collection event.
These periodic recycling events are made possible by the City's annual receipt of a Used Oil Recycling Block Grant from the Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle). CalRecycle funds the collection of motor oil and oil filters.
When participating in a used oil and oil filter recycling program, please remember the following:
- These events are geared to "home mechanics" only. Waste generated from businesses is not accepted.
- Transport no more than 10 gallons of waste at any one time. Use your best judgement to estimate the amount.
- Bring the waste in closed containers that won't leak.
- For passenger and driver safety, place wastes in the vehicle's trunk or truck bed. Do not transport in passenger compartment.
- Secure the containers to prevent breakage or spills.
- Place contaminated oil in a container that can be left behind (Fire Code requirement).
- If you are unavailable, have a family member or close neighbor bring the wastes to the event.
Search for a location to recycle used oil and oil filters in your neighborhood at Calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOIl/Reports/CenterSearch.
For additional information, call Environmental Services at 858-694-7000.