Any Permittee requesting Special Events that involve citywide services (i.e. street closures, the Police Department, the Fire Department, Lifeguards, etc.) will need to complete a Special Event Permit Application with the Citywide Office of Special Events.
- Additional permits and fees, other than Park & Recreation permits and fees will be required.
- Some of the Rules and Regulations for Permits in Developed Regional Parks may be waived by the District Manager after reviewing the Special Events application.
- The Balboa Park and Mission Bay Park Committees provide formal recommendations to City staff on all new special events proposed in Balboa or Mission Bay parks that anticipate an attendance that exceeds park capacity, will potentially impact park, institution, or lessee operations, and/or require road or plaza closures.
- Park Capacity Master List per Municipal Code Chapter 6, Article 3
- The District Managers should be contacted to calendar the Special Events on the respective Committee's Agenda. The Mission Bay Park Committee normally meets the first Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. at various locations throughout Mission Bay Park. The exact meeting location is posted 72 hours in advance of the meeting on the Mission Bay Park Committee web page. The Balboa Park Committee meets the first Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Balboa Park Club in the Santa Fe Room. The address is 2150 Pan American Plaza, in San Diego. Meeting agendas and minutes are posted on the Balboa Park Committee web page.
- Additionally, presentations may be requested by other community groups. District Managers will provide the contact information.
- A Reservation for use of Park Space should be completed by the Applicant prior to the submittal of a Special Event Permit Application to the City Office of Special Events. This form confirms a reservation only upon issuance of a Special Event Permit by the San Diego Police Department.